Discuss Need help with wiring a fan isolater, testing unit possibly broken. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a problem with the fan isolator in the bathroom and it cut out.
So I had a look at the switch and replaced it.

But that didn't fix the issue and I am wondering if the unit itself has gone.

Is there a way that I could test it?

This is how the switch was wired.

sw.jpg

And this is how the fan was wired. (NB. Grey cable was originally in but I took pic as I was removing the unit)

fanbrm.jpg

Thanks

Firstly, are you an electrician and have you safely isolated this circuit?

Firstly, are you an electrician and have you safely isolated this circuit?

Hi,

I'm not an electrician by trade but I have attended electrics classes and know some basics.

I have isolated the circuit and everything is off.

Thanks

Why have they tagged the black brown if it's been used a a neutral o_O.

You could get a volt meter and see if you have power there or just call an electricatian to test it for you

Identify your 3 wires (live, n , s/live). Check you have a voltage on both lives at fan. If so, replace fan if not. Check load side at isolator. If no voltage, (but there is on feed side ) replace isolator. Job done.

What originaly was wrong with the fan isolator as you originally posted, it may be ok and the fan's u/s or vicky verky :)

I'm not an electrician by trade but I have attended electrics classes and know some basics.
Identify your 3 wires (live, n , s/live). Check you have a voltage on both lives at fan. If so, replace fan if not. Check load side at isolator. If no voltage, (but there is on feed side ) replace isolator. Job done
looks like some ones wired it with 3phase color coded cable

it work out how they have actually wired it first
FFS ,WHAT PLANET ARE YOU PEAPLE ON ,TO THE PERSON FANS FAULTY
GET SOME IN THAT KNOW WHAT THEY DOING.

looks like some ones wired it with 3 phase color coded cable

i would work out how they have actually wired it first and over sleeve it with the right color coding so know whats what

and more importantly anyone else can you identify it properly

as others said my money on duff fan

Hi,

Yes I am going to get someone in to look at it.

But I was just trying to make sense of it and see if I could replace it myself. It doesn't appear to be that difficult.

It's a simple job if the fan has gone. But I would like to know that it is the fan before going out and buying a new one.

What originaly was wrong with the fan isolator as you originally posted, it may be ok and the fan's u/s or vicky verky :)

It was working intermittently then it just stopped.

I had a look at the switch and the wiring didn't look great.

It could be the unit but I wanted to test it somehow.

You would need to "prove" that the unit has a permenant supply , a switched supply and a neutral

Cheap fans are notourious for the failure of the chip that controls the timer .......... rendering the fan useless.

Why don't you post your location and see if anyne on here is close?

Reactions: 123
Almost always it will be the fan, the isolator very rarely fails.

But if you haven't got any test equipment, e.g. approved voltage indicator as a minimum, it is difficult to guess (NB: a neon screwdriver is worse than useless).

Don't just randomly change components in the hope one of them might be at fault.

Almost always it will be the fan, the isolator very rarely fails.

But if you haven't got any test equipment, e.g. approved voltage indicator as a minimum, it is difficult to guess (NB: a neon screwdriver is worse than useless).

Don't just randomly change components in the hope one of them might be at fault.

I have a Kewtech GS38 Tester to test for supply.

So do you have PL, SL and neutral?

Hi,

When off (isolated) there is no supply at the fan end at all.
All wires are dead.

Switch Info
Bottom
switch L1 (Brown is live)
switch L2 (Grey is dead)
switch N (Black is dead)
switch L1 (Brown is dead)
switch L2 (Grey is dead)
switch N (Black is dead)

When on (not isolated) the brown is live, grey and black dead.
Switch Info
Bottom
switch L2 (Grey is dead)
switch N (Black is dead)
switch L2 (Grey is dead)
switch N (Black is dead)

Reply to Need help with wiring a fan isolater, testing unit possibly broken. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net