Discuss Need help with wiring a fan isolater, testing unit possibly broken. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,

When off (isolated) there is no supply at the fan end at all.
All wires are dead.

Switch Info
Bottom
switch L1 (Brown is live)
switch L2 (Grey is dead)
switch N (Black is dead)
switch L1 (Brown is dead)
switch L2 (Grey is dead)
switch N (Black is dead)

When on (not isolated) the brown is live, grey and black dead.

Switch Info
Bottom
switch L2 (Grey is dead)
switch N (Black is dead)
switch L2 (Grey is dead)
switch N (Black is dead)

My final bit of advice

Get your wallet out!

I dont think any one here would be happy to advice you

I say this in a nice way
1 no one that knew what they were doing would have changed the isolator

2 have you actually put it back correctly
some one has used the color coding for l1 l2 l3 on a 3 phase supple

3 im guessing some one has just used that cable as it was laying about and the pic is from a house on a single phase

but that a just a guess

we don't now where the bath room is

you got a tester but if you knew how to use it would have took you 30 seconds to check power at fan

get someone in

I've just been taking my time to try and make some sense out of it before calling someone in.

I don't know what they have done but I need to get it fixed.

It's a house and the switch is outside the bathroom.

I will call my local sparky.

Thanks

I dont think any one here would be happy to advice you

I am
If it was you who was asking a question,maybe you would hope to be given some assistance

To the op,without going through the whole of this thread
What control do you have which should make the grey become live
Do you have a separate pull cord or perhaps its controlled by the light
The isolator appears to be doing what it supposed to do

It's most likely to be a faulty fan as many have said. Post up your location and you may find someone on here is local to you.

PS As you have been messing around with things yourself, may find it more expensive to put it all back together safely now, than what it would have been to fix originally

Hi I managed to sort it out.

I took my time at looking at the wiring and tracing it through the loft to see what was going on.

The fan is working again and I made the cabling good.

so what was the fault?

so what was the fault?

They had wired the Isolater so that it was being fed from the bathroom light switch and on inspection I noticed that the grey switch cable had come away.

So that's why there was no power at L2 on the Isolater .

Everything worked after that.

Well that's my take.

I'm trying not to over confuse the matter right now.

I don't know why they used what they did.

But the fan isolator switch is being fed from the bathroom light switch and the fan isolator switch needs a live (brown), a switched live (grey)and a neutral (black).

Reply to Need help with wiring a fan isolater, testing unit possibly broken. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net