Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss need info on Grade 1 Listed Church in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. ELIMINATOR GUY

ELIMINATOR GUY Guest

Hi Guys, I have been asked to fit some high level sockets on a Grade 1 Listed Church, but not sure on the regs for that as I mostly do domestic stuff.
    It has not been touched for years and does not have an RCD C/U, and they want 5 sockets quite far apart and over 3 meters high.
    So my question is as it's a listed building what am I allowed to use to run the cables to the new points ? and any specific cable type ?

Thanks

2. nikmet

nikmet Electrician's Arms

I would check with the body that issues the grade 1 listing, im sure this covers internal alterations so there approval before the work commences is essential

3. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

Hi, I do a fair bit of work on listed buildings in Wales but I would guess that the rules are pretty similar. Grade 1 means no surface mounted wiring Im afraid. We employ a joiner on these jobs as my carpentry is DIY standard only

4. ELIMINATOR GUY

ELIMINATOR GUY Guest

Thanks guys, I have just contacted regs office and emailed them the plans, they are gona get back to me later today.

thanks for the advice.

5. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

I reckon that just about 99.9% of the older church electrical installations are ''surface wired''!! I'd like to see how it can be done any other way, seeing as they tend to be constructed of stone blocks!! For insurance purposes, apart from any other regulations regarding Grade 1 listing i would think the cable of choice will be MICC either bare or covered in an appropriately coloured PVC over sheath....

6. mackers

mackers Guest

did a lighting upgrade years back in a church for english heritage we had to use black pyro !
    best to speak to who ever in charge they should tell you what you can or cant do!

7. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

i would have thought as eng here: MICC....:)

8. KFH

KFH Regular EF Member

There are some guidelines for wiring churches from various church bodies. Bung the appropriate terms into a search engine. From memory they preferred MICC but would accept Firetuf type due to lower cost. But I suspect that grade one listing trumps any cost issues. They like MICC due to its longevity, fire resistance and rodent resistance. As they are not normally changing the requirements every few years they can plan for the long term

9. alarm man

alarm man Guest

i hope god hasnt been on a 5 week course then,or its wet string with bluetack for clips..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

In the past, many churches used MI without the sheath so that the copper would eventually discolour and "blend in" to the stonework. Agree that you need further advice from the relevant bodies in this case.

11. alarm man

alarm man Guest

when god said let there be light,i never knew he might as long as its in pyro..:smartass2:

wheres me coat.:helmet:

12. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

well the way they advertise these 5 week courses...as if their the 'gods' of the electrical world.....

13. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

True enough but then the vast majority of churches are not even listed let alone Grade 1 listed. As I understand it, and certainly this is the case in Wales, grade one listed means minimal changes to interior features as well as exterior and its very much at the whim of the officer overseeing the work. Before now we have had to get 16th century oak panelling removed to run wires then replaced.

14. ELIMINATOR GUY

ELIMINATOR GUY Guest

I have spoken to the local council regs and they informed me it's nothing to do with them as depending of what kind of church it is, they have their own regs, as this one is Chruch or England, the regs come from the Diocese Advisory Council, I have a meeting with them on Monday so things are looking good.

thanks for the info guys.

15. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012