Discuss need info on Grade 1 Listed Church in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

ELIMINATOR GUY

Hi Guys, I have been asked to fit some high level sockets on a Grade 1 Listed Church, but not sure on the regs for that as I mostly do domestic stuff.
It has not been touched for years and does not have an RCD C/U, and they want 5 sockets quite far apart and over 3 meters high.
So my question is as it's a listed building what am I allowed to use to run the cables to the new points ? and any specific cable type ?

Thanks

I would check with the body that issues the grade 1 listing, im sure this covers internal alterations so there approval before the work commences is essential

Hi, I do a fair bit of work on listed buildings in Wales but I would guess that the rules are pretty similar. Grade 1 means no surface mounted wiring Im afraid. We employ a joiner on these jobs as my carpentry is DIY standard only

Hi, I do a fair bit of work on listed buildings in Wales but I would guess that the rules are pretty similar. Grade 1 means no surface mounted wiring Im afraid. We employ a joiner on these jobs as my carpentry is DIY standard only

I reckon that just about 99.9% of the older church electrical installations are ''surface wired''!! I'd like to see how it can be done any other way, seeing as they tend to be constructed of stone blocks!! For insurance purposes, apart from any other regulations regarding Grade 1 listing i would think the cable of choice will be MICC either bare or covered in an appropriately coloured PVC over sheath....

did a lighting upgrade years back in a church for english heritage we had to use black pyro !
best to speak to who ever in charge they should tell you what you can or cant do!

There are some guidelines for wiring churches from various church bodies. Bung the appropriate terms into a search engine. From memory they preferred MICC but would accept Firetuf type due to lower cost. But I suspect that grade one listing trumps any cost issues. They like MICC due to its longevity, fire resistance and rodent resistance. As they are not normally changing the requirements every few years they can plan for the long term

In the past, many churches used MI without the sheath so that the copper would eventually discolour and "blend in" to the stonework. Agree that you need further advice from the relevant bodies in this case.

I reckon that just about 99.9% of the older church electrical installations are ''surface wired''!! I'd like to see how it can be done any other way, seeing as they tend to be constructed of stone blocks!! For insurance purposes, apart from any other regulations regarding Grade 1 listing i would think the cable of choice will be MICC either bare or covered in an appropriately coloured PVC over sheath....

True enough but then the vast majority of churches are not even listed let alone Grade 1 listed. As I understand it, and certainly this is the case in Wales, grade one listed means minimal changes to interior features as well as exterior and its very much at the whim of the officer overseeing the work. Before now we have had to get 16th century oak panelling removed to run wires then replaced.

I have spoken to the local council regs and they informed me it's nothing to do with them as depending of what kind of church it is, they have their own regs, as this one is Chruch or England, the regs come from the Diocese Advisory Council, I have a meeting with them on Monday so things are looking good.

thanks for the info guys.

In the past, many churches used MI without the sheath so that the copper would eventually discolour and "blend in" to the stonework. Agree that you need further advice from the relevant bodies in this case.

Got to agree with the MI. Many years ago had to rewire a church to get rid of old lead covered twin the spec required PVC covered MI to blend with the stone in those days it was possible to get MI to special order in any colour subject to a minimum order quantity which I think was 2 or 3 thousand metres

Reply to need info on Grade 1 Listed Church in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock