Discuss Need meter advice for returning spark in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and returning hopefully to the electrical trade after 10 years. I was wondering which meter is best Fluke,Megger ?? Price is a definite consideration. Thank you and hello everyone.

Personally I would acquire a meter which will carry out high current zs testing using only 2 leads as trying to balance 3 is sometimes a pain.
My mft 1552 megger failed calibration so I’m using a kewtech kt64 and the difference is very noticeable!!

Personally I would acquire a meter which will carry out high current zs testing using only 2 leads as trying to balance 3 is sometimes a pain.
My mft 1552 megger failed calibration so I’m using a kewtech kt64 and the difference is very noticeable!!

Kewtech KT63 very good if price is a consideration. It has a piggy back lead to do two wire high and low Zs. Also has magnets on the back to stick it on surfaces which can be handy. Nice display.

Ian, is that a ‘fail calibration - end of story’ - I’ve never thought, except for economic viability, that they failed beyond repair. It’d be like losing a loved one, well a pet at least!

They failed it on the high ohms scale.
In other words they whacked 400 ohms through it but the meter could only read upto 100 ohms so they failed it.
Was fine with everything thing else such as zs, rcd insulation resistance.
Thing is I’ve got a cal card and by using the various different resistances it’s spot on.
Also tried it against the kt64 and readings are there or there about a spot on give or take 0.01 of an ohm but some are spot on.
Bit gutted as they won’t atemp a repair unless I shell out £50 with no guarantees it can be fixed.
Parts are now obsolete ie megger want me to buy a new model!
Had it 10+ years as well, I remember the box saying 16th edition tester on it.

I am tempted by the one telectrix posted as I like Fluke but don't have the cash, my main aim is to get Elecsa over before April and be able to sign of my work, (worried as been out for 10 years ) So I first want to 'test the water' and not spend too much especially after xmas. We never had to insulation test back in the good old days... thanks everyone for advice what a friendly bunch!

I am tempted by the one telectrix posted as I like Fluke but don't have the cash, my main aim is to get Elecsa over before April and be able to sign of my work, (worried as been out for 10 years ) So I first want to 'test the water' and not spend too much especially after xmas. We never had to insulation test back in the good old days... thanks everyone for advice what a friendly bunch!
i bought my 1553 from a forum member 5 years ago, 2nd hand. . passed every calibration since. lovely to use.no problems.

i bought my 1553 from a forum member 5 years ago, 2nd hand. . passed every calibration since. lovely to use.no problems.
Yes I loved my MFT 1552.
Miles better and easier to use than that horrible kewtech meter I’m having to use.
Zs testing with 3 leads is a nightmare on certain accessories/circuits were I don’t need to carry out low zs testing

Reply to Need meter advice for returning spark in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net