Discuss Need to replace mk 100ma rcd (6160) with 30ma one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There must be hundreds of thousands of TTs up and down the country, we live close to the centre of town and we're on a TT. You can't say they're a farmer system:)

Girrorf o moi larnd!!!!!

agree ^^^^^. if a DB catches fire or fails in any way, MK would say it was your fault for fitting non -MK parts.

Afraid people just don't THINK, before they start altering things that were based on much earlier regulations. To do this job correctly, the CU needs to be changed out for a 17th dual RCD CU, or remove the existing 100mA RCD and protect the circuits via RCBO's. But you can bet your bottom dollar it won't be!! lol!!

You say 16th edition CU. Can you clarify that the CU has a main switch and a 100mA RCD protecting the FRC etc and you are replacing that unit to a 30 mA unit.

The way i look at it i need MY kitchen radial to comply with regs so an existing 16th ed. board with 100a main switch and non sockets not rcd protected then all sockets protected. Existing broken ring was on rcd side. Rewired a 4mm radial then when i tested i got through all other tests and did rcd test which was when i noticed the 100ma rcd. Yes to do the job completely a board change would be ideal but you couldnt argue my method isnt by the book! ?!?!

Could also be that there could be faults on rcd side that are not being 'noticed' by 100ma rcd so it could be opening a bit of a can of worms! Fairly unlikely, not a hugely old install

A 16th ed CU did NOT employ a 100Ma RCD on split configurations, it was always a 30mA RCD. Only as i remember, on the earlier 16th's or was it 15th, that used an upfront 100mA RCD in CU's that covered all circuits....

Reply to Need to replace mk 100ma rcd (6160) with 30ma one in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net