Discuss Need to reset a Galaxy 2-20 alarm system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rupert

-
DIY
Reaction score
I have recently moved into a new house that has a Galaxy 2-20 system which the previous owners had on an ADT contract. Following a number of telephone line outages it needed an engineers reset but ADT will not give me the code and wanted £180 to come and reset it. Alternatively I can sign up for a 3 year contract when they will waive the charge.

As I plan to carry out a lot of renovation on the property which will involve a number of changes to the system I don't want to get into a contract at the moment.

I note from a previous thread that it is possible to default the system back to factory settings which will allow me to reprogram it to meet my requirements.

I did send a PM to someone who said he had worked out how to do it but I have had no reply.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me what the procedure is to default the system please.

Thanks in advance

The installation manual doesnt tell you how to reset the codes if you dont know them.

There are 3 codes, and you need them all. Manager, Engineer and User. When you have the Manager code, you can reset the others if needed. If it was an ADT alarm, then the numbers will not be the default '1234' etc.
It is possible to reset the codes by shorting some of the internal terminals, but I dont think I should be posting that here.

Alanl

I admit I did not read the manual I posted. I have now. You're right it does not detail what I expected. Thats quite a detailed alarm system.

agreed, how to re boot alarm systems is not an advisable thing to post on an open forum.

this should be in the DIY area along with the OP's other post,

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen a you dont want a contract and that your having extensive building work carried out on your new home, why dont you find a local alarm firm and take out the ADT alarm panel and replace it with a new one. The alarm engineer can then use the existing cables to the PIR's/door censers/bell box and also run new cable to (what I assume) your new alarm points within the house.

Replacement of the system is an option but I understand that the Galaxy isn't half bad so if I could re-use it I would prefer that option.
I am very much a hands on person so like to do stuff myself if at all possible hence the question regarding the defaulting of the system.
I understand the issues regarding posting stuff on an open forum so if someone would like to PM me with a solution that would be great.
Regarding Murdoch's comment about the DIY forum I have to say that I have found this forum very difficult to navigate regarding where to put posts.
Sorry if I am out of order.

manufacturers usually provide a reset to factory default, but you need to send the pcb to them, obviously with a charge being made. worth a phone call to them.

if you access the end station try the following

remove mains
remove battery

put a link between 0v and tamper on the siren out pins on the pcb

remove connections to zone 1 (1001)

defeat panel tamper switch, put the end station panel screw in place
then power the panel up bay battery first then mains

enter default code 1234 (or12345)
this should silence the system
then ESC
then enter default engineers code 1122 or 112233 depends on software version
then ENT
enter engineer code again that should default back to factory

BE AWARE BY DOING THIS YOU NOW HAVE TO REPROG THE WHOLE SYSTEM

do not do this unless you have either an engineers book or have knowledge of the system

contact me if you need any further help

Read more: ADT Honeywell Galaxy Alarm Problem - DIYnot.com - DIY and Home Improvement on a forum. whether or not it wrks, i know not.

this was f

Replacement of the system is an option but I understand that the Galaxy isn't half bad so if I could re-use it I would prefer that option.
I am very much a hands on person so like to do stuff myself if at all possible hence the question regarding the defaulting of the system.
I understand the issues regarding posting stuff on an open forum so if someone would like to PM me with a solution that would be great.
Regarding Murdoch's comment about the DIY forum I have to say that I have found this forum very difficult to navigate regarding where to put posts.
Sorry if I am out of order.

Not out of order, but the site is mainly for professionals so if you are posting in the DIY section its clear you aren't in the trade and people won't "slate" you for not knowing.

Reply to Need to reset a Galaxy 2-20 alarm system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net