Discuss Neon screwdrivers help!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

thought they were BG's main test equipment,

ok 2 part thread first is a question that i need to ask....

With regard to test equipment used by electricians state: Why the use of a screwdriver incorperating the use of a neon indicator, for verifying isolation does not comply with the requirements of GS 38...

THANKS....

and part 2 of this thread is to ask you all what is your views on the neon screwdriver as i have heard that a lot of people do not like them where as some others do like them...
these things are deadly ...and should be banned..or summat.....if you need to verefy wether a voltage is present/sitting on something...whatever then an approved voltage indicator to GS38 is the answer.......seen loads of kitchen fitters pull these "neons" out of the toolbox and it makes me cringe.....should all be snapped in half or hammered to bits wherever they turn up......neons that is......

burn2.gif

hammered to bits wherever they turn up......neons that is......

now we all know you meaN KITCHEN FITTERS.

We use junior testoscopes as approved pieces of kit, we can only use them to prove live as there's no proving unit for them

Junior Testoscope

Drummond test lamps are used the most though, we don't touch 'volt sticks' as they're very erroneous!

I used to use a neon driver as an apprentice before I (and my boss) discovered volt sticks. If you're well earthed they go really bright and you can actually feel the current going through you. Pointless tool really given the existence of the volt stick.

• given the existence of the volt stick.

another piece of kit that can be trusted as far as a politician​

I was once asked to leave a Focus store after starting an argument with a member of 'staff' over these bloody things.

The manager just wouldn't accept my point of view.....maybe it was the way I was trying to get it across.:83:

Theres a thread on here about it somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • given the existence of the volt stick.

another piece of kit that can be trusted as far as a politician​

Well I know at college we're taught to Isolate, lock off, stick up a sign, test GS38 volt reader on a proving unit, test supply, re-test on the proving unit, put on an NBC suit, call the fire brigade bla bla bla every time we wanna take a light switch off but to be quite honest I'd rather just get the odd belt from time to time. I find a volt stick absolutely invaluable and it comes out far more often than my volt meter, Im not saying they dont fail, they do, but IMO they are very handy.

look...its all very well just waveing a voltstick over cable/s, around fronts etc but for just a few minutes extra time you can use the GS38 voltage indicator and KNOW that you are working safe.....but its each to their own isn`t it.....

I tend to use both - a proper gs38 tester the first time say on the first switch or socket and then wave a volt stick over the next ones just in case i have stupidly strayed onto a different circuit. :uhoh2:

Reply to Neon screwdrivers help!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net