Discuss Neon screwdrivers help!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Like Pushrod I use both, if I'm 99% certain that the circuit Ive isolated at the DB is the one Im working on than I'll use my Volt Stick.

But if I'm not too sure where the circuit is coming from/ if it's isolated than I'll dig out the GS38 biz.

Mine gets used as a terminal screwdriver and not used for testing, usually the only time I come across mains is the supply to a fire panel or remote psu but if I need to test I use a voltage tester currently the fluke ldv2 volt light I've also got fluke multimeter and T5 tester

When I was at college doing my c&g 1851 for security systems volt sticks were just taking off, tutor told us British gas engineers were issued with fluke 1AC voltalert and if caught with neon screwdriver on them or in tool box could get in a lot of trouble

I appreciate that people do try and answer these questions so please dont take offence that none of the answers given really answered the question. The best help came from providing the GS 38 pdf but what the student needed was an explanation of why these things don't comply with GS 38, not 20 posts saying, cos they're crap.

I also needed to answer this question. I've never used these screwdrivers, because i've heard they are not that safe, so I don't really know how they work. Looking at GS 38 I think the resons why the don't comply would be:

Lack of sufficient insulation.
Lack of finger barriers.
Excessive bare metal exposed (more than 4mm)
Lack of safety signage (maximum voltage,
Lack of protection from a fuse.

Would this be correct?

Looking at GS 38 I think the resons why the don't comply would be:

Lack of finger barriers.

Would this be correct?
There is a fuse in these things but apart from the other 4 reasons, anything that passes current through your body is a bad idea. There are far better methods of testing for dead/live than these

I have a couple of reasons why I dont like neons,firstly a spark I worked with years ago got a proper belt off one,turned out his new apprentice knocked it into a bowl of water and was frightened he,d be in trouble so he carefully dried it with a towel and put it back,second was doing a five minute favour and had a neon in my pocket so used it,and ended up getting a right belt.used to like them for terminal drivers but lately found a supplier of the little black ones you used to get at college years ago (steadfast) anyone remember them? for reference BG used to issue you with a neon made by Martindale,black thing with a small window in the side and a point rather than screwdriver tip totally useless also.

Market forces can also play a part in explaining to you the negatives of the neon screwdriver

Ask yourself how many of the major test meter manufacturers sell humans attatched to screwdrivers,the answer is none
(Its not in their interests to get sued for the use of inappropriate equipment when manufacturing their test instruments)
Even their destructive testing of the proposed instrument would leave them open to all sorts of homocide claims
Therefore silly manufacturers sell the instrument minus the human bit and leave it to the user to take the risk
Neon screwdrivers help!!!! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

This senseless answer is in response to a duff question posed

How can constructive answers about conformity be given about a tool having the potential for injury
Neon screwdrivers help!!!! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
neons and volt sticks are banned at our place for testing.we use the wet finger test,its more reliable,or is that liable..:freak:

Lack of finger barriers.

Would this be correct?
It is also recommended that any device for testing voltage should be a 2pole tester with sufficiently long leads. The neon screwdriver is only testing the PD between the item tested and earth.
Therefore you cannot check for instance L-N pd.

The three golden rules you use for neon screwdriver testers.

1. Find one in your new set of drivers.

2. Take it out and use it to stir your cuppa tea.

3. Throw it away with the tea bag.

The three golden rules you use for neon screwdriver testers.

1. Find one in your new set of drivers.

2. Take it out and use it to stir your cuppa tea.

3. Throw it away with the tea bag.
Great advice, got 2 sets of Wera drivers, both missing 1 item.

Was on a big factory job in Histon and the main electrical engineer of the factory was chucking a few of the neon drivers over the fence:army:

Great advice, got 2 sets of Wera drivers, both missing 1 item.

Was on a big factory job in Histon and the main electrical engineer of the factory was chucking a few of the neon drivers over the fence:army:
best place for em......its about time that these manufacturers of VDE drivers...wera, CK, etc..their all at it......its about time that they stopped putting these things in with the sets of drivers they sell claiming `its a bonus item`.....like some sort of stocking filler or something.....

I agree, I've never understood why serious screwdriver manufacturers think it's a good idea to include one of these deathtraps in their boxed sets. I would rather they gave away a wallet or even a branded flashlight or something.

Reply to Neon screwdrivers help!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock