Discuss Nest Hello Self Install Blown Transformer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Your head is probably melted with all the questions on Nest and Ring doorbells. I searched through the forum but couldnt find what I was looking for.

Basically on the consumer unit I have already got a wired door bell transformer. This chap Technical Properties ST303 - http://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/energy-distribution/modular-devices/transformers-bells-buzzers/transformers/st303/46692.htm

So I decided to switch it out to a 24V transformer from here PSS10/230/24V BREVE TUFVASSONS - Transformer: safety | TME - Electronic components - https://www.tme.eu/en/details/pss10_230_24v/safety-transformers/breve-tufvassons/

I connect up the 24v transformer exactly the same as the 8v. Flick the power back on and flash/boom/smoke.

I didnt install the Nest yet. The chime didnt change either. It just seems very odd.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

At a guess you have fried the transformer.

Your old Hager one has the mains input at the top and 12v at the bottom

Your new one has the mains input at the bottom and the 24v output at the top

Also you will burn out the chime too if you install a higher voltage transformer

Don't they come with there own transformer ???

No they don’t Nest just stipulate the voltage rating of the nest hello requires and leaves it up to you to decide if you need to upgrade the transformer and chime

This is why Nest recommend that you get a registered Nest Pro in to install it

At a guess you have fried the transformer.

Your old Hager one has the mains input at the top and 12v at the bottom

Your new one has the mains input at the bottom and the 24v output at the top

Also you will burn out the chime too if you install a higher voltage transformer

Thanks for that. Makes sense. I couldnt find any schematic that showed that. How can you tell that out of curiousity?

No they don’t Nest just stipulate the voltage rating of the nest hello requires and leaves it up to you to decide if you need to upgrade the transformer and chime

This is why Nest recommend that you get a registered Nest Pro in to install it

Yes its a bit haphazard compared to the ring who provide the transformer. I had to get this one sent in from Poland.

Reply to Nest Hello Self Install Blown Transformer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net