• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss neutral in Live Load on Fused Spur in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
has anyone any experience of this. The boiler is 14 years old and has only just gone wrong. when the boiler engineer looked at it he found there was 240v between the neutral and earth inside the boiler unit.

First thoughts would be reversed polarity but more investigation is needed.

Was it 230v at the neutral and earth terminals or just because the cable colours?

If its only been tested in the boiler connections, and not at the supply switch/fuse, then maybe something has fried in the PCB and shorted out?
The boiler would probably work fine with reverse polarity, as would a lot of other appliances.
What needs to be done next is an electrician, not a boiler engineer, go and test the supply with the proper test equipment.

So I went onto the Spur and the neutral is connected to the live load so it is not surprising that there is 230v on it.
He said I needed an electrician as it was a fault - I don't think it is a fault it is a bit of slack wiring from 14 years ago.
This is the third visit from an engineer (all different) and none of them seemed to know what to do.
I now have an electrician commitg out but I suspect he will just move the neutral to the Neutral load and the live to the Live Load.
I could do that!!

PS on the first visit the fuse inside the boiler and on the Spur had blown due to water (maybe condensation on the PCB. He replaced the fuse (with a bigger one 5A instead of 3A because thats all he had) and as the boiler was getting up to temp there was a pretty good pop...

So if the PCB wasn't fired I bet it is now.

I figured the boiler would work with the neutral and live replaced and it probably goes into ta transformer (I guess)

does all this make sense?

If its only been tested in the boiler connections, and not at the supply switch/fuse, then maybe something has fried in the PCB and shorted out?
The boiler would probably work fine with reverse polarity, as would a lot of other appliances.
What needs to be done next is an electrician, not a boiler engineer, go and test the supply with the proper test equipment.
see my longer post below - I have checked at the fused box.

Things seem a bit clouded with neutral connected to live load and voltage between neutral and earth, a good electrician will resolve this.

Things seem a bit clouded with neutral connected to live load and voltage between neutral and earth, a good electrician will resolve this.
Many thanks Westward10 - Its only the wires that go to the boiler from the fusebox that are reversed. All the inline stuff seems okay. so I figure it will just be a case of swapping the live wire to the live load slot and neutral to the neutral load slot and voila. I would have thought a boiler engineer would know that as it is pretty basic - but maybe I am expecting too much. Electrician is coming out Tuesday night - Probably be a quick and easy job for him.

Is it just me that thinks someone who fits boilers or heating systems controlled by electric pumps and switch systems should know and be competent to do the wiring?

Apparently we are not allowed to open up a boiler to access the connections unless we are GasSafe… Should be the other way round as well. They shouldn't be allowed to touch the electrical side of things.

If there is a gas leak, God forbid, It will be a dodgy electrical joint arcing that ignites it.

Apparently we are not allowed to open up a boiler to access the connections unless we are GasSafe… Should be the other way round as well. They shouldn't be allowed to touch the electrical side of things.

If there is a gas leak, God forbid, It will be a dodgy electrical joint arcing that ignites it.
Precisely, if GasSafe, that should include being qualified and competent to do the sparky bits of the equipment.

Is it just me that thinks someone who fits boilers or heating systems controlled by electric pumps and switch systems should know and be competent to do the wiring?
No - I am with you one this. This particular issue is so basic yet I have been left for another 4 days with no heating or hot water. I just get the impression everyone is running away from the job - any excuse?

Reply to neutral in Live Load on Fused Spur in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back