Discuss neutrals at switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wattsup

easy peasy wiring....i never used to do it, but now seems common practice...I was intending to use dp grid switches...but now ahhh, we want dimmers . No probs with the rotary dimmers but a neutral connected in the backbox. Is that bad pactice?

I dislike doing that in domestic properties because i don't trust some householder not to come along and 'convert' it into a socket to run their vacuum cleaner off.
Otherwise it's perfectly acceptable (easier for downlighers) and you don't even need DP switches - you can use a bit of terminal block behind the switch because the joint is accessible.

Hi Wattsup,

It used to be considered bad practice but is now acccepted. If the neutrals are clearly identified by colour and installed as per BS7671 etc I don't think there is an issue. It is taught in colleges as an option to 'take the power to the switch'as well as to the ceiling rose. I agree with NovusSparkus that the DIYer will or can do conversions but surely the comeback would be with them if the installation complied? We can't prevent such changes and provided the installation was correctly documented and legal then the law should protet the electrician.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

Rex

Yep do it most of the time, much easier...

you can use a bit of terminal block behind the switch
you can also use one of these, which are very good quality, quick and simple to use:

neutrals at switches {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

It,s been common place for years in the commercial world,especially on a conduit install. In the domestic world I am not convinced that this should become the norm over 3 plate. Just an opinion I know. And why the need for neutrals at the switch, just because a dimmer is involved ? There are so many line and load only dimmers on the market.

easy peasy wiring....i never used to do it, but now seems common practice...I was intending to use dp grid switches...but now ahhh, we want dimmers . No probs with the rotary dimmers but a neutral connected in the backbox. Is that bad pactice?

on a tech note it helps to cancel out emf running them together you can see it happening with tv's sometimes when you get flux on the picture. Really helps those with hearing aids thats why on 3plate you wire induction loops on two ways.

The only advantage in having neutrals at the switch in my opinion is retro fitting some wirless retrofit systems ( Jung & C-Bus ) which require a neutral to the switch

Another consideration should be given to the fact that for a number of reasons it can be an advantage having a permanent live at the fittings ie ext fans, smoke detectors, even a possible e/m light fitting. all possibles at a future date, with 3 plate. Also whilst it may simplify connections at the light fittings,to have neutrals at the switch, it will complicate things at the switch positions. I would only do this if neccassary, again just an opinion. Also any inductive/back emf sensitive equipment should be run in screened or shielded cables to be on the safe side anyway's. Again just an observation, we all have our prefferances.;)

I think it is great to just have the one cable at the light and like to do it where i can when I know fancy lights are being used.
I hate chasing though so I wouldn't bother to do it on a rewire if I could pull one cable down to the switch but not three.

And why the need for neutrals at the switch, just because a dimmer is involved ?

no need, as i said i was going to use dp switches, then the customer later decides on dimmer switches, so i'm stuck wiith neutrals in a connector, at that particular switch.

the reason I was using dp switches was simply for my own get out of jail card...what neutrals at switches!...err yes but dp switches. In the commercial / industrial world it is unheard of, all singles in conduit, trunking is the norm.

3 rooms have 12 downlights in each room, 2 rooms have 6 downlights, the bathroom has 8, and the 2 en-suite have 6 in each...hence i like neutrals at switches now -;)

Another consideration should be given to the fact that for a number of reasons it can be an advantage having a permanent live at the fittings ie ext fans, smoke detectors, even a possible e/m light fitting. all possibles at a future date, with 3 plate. Also whilst it may simplify connections at the light fittings,to have neutrals at the switch, it will complicate things at the switch positions. I would only do this if neccassary, again just an opinion. Also any inductive/back emf sensitive equipment should be run in screened or shielded cables to be on the safe side anyway's. Again just an observation, we all have our prefferances.;)
Not to start a fuss but what about isolation for e/m and smokes. Your still going to have to knock out for a test switch.

Not to start a fuss but what about isolation for e/m and smokes. Your still going to have to knock out for a test switch.

Nothing wrong with the isolation being local to the e/m. Depends on the situation admitted, but there have been times when a permanent live at a light fitting as saved a lot of messing around. ;)

It would be mighty congested if you had a two gang two way switch with neutrals at the switch.

Agree competely Ian.
I think there is a place for both methods, but using the neutral at switch as a preferance over 3 plate on a regular basis would not be a good thing. 3 plate in domestic installs is well proven, yes there are examples when the latter may prove beneficial but not as a replacement to tried and tested methods. If its not broke, why fix it.;)

Reply to neutrals at switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock