Discuss Neutrals at switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What if customer wants to change from normal switching to dimmer?? Changing accessory now becomes more than a straight forward switch from one to the other.

The dog that is removed from the reds in the middle had 11 cables going into it, had worked loose because it was under the landing floor, luckily the house is to be rewired this year

switch/loop at ceiling:
ring/radial:
swa/conduit
pvc conduit/steel conduit

we all have our own preferences and ways of doing things and as long as its to the regs and is fit for purpose it does not matter why we choose one over the other. different circumstances call for different approaches to the situation and methods

sorry I am more of an commercial/industrial installer
Why can you not do the 'loop into the switch' method in a commercial/industrial situation?

• If the client wants the emergency lights switched separately (eg in a corridor where they want the lights to stay on during a light test) the auxiliary terminal would be fed from the keyswitch so you wouldn't be able to use it as live loop, so you'd need to link the loop in the back of the box which doesn't leave you much room to screw the lid back.
  • You'd have exactly the same problem with finding the rose which the switch wire comes off - why spend ages up a ladder or on top of desks when you can just take the switch off?
  • Looping in to the switch makes moving/rewiring individual circuits a lot more straightforward - strip the circuit back to the switch and continue it from there.
Obviously if you were wiring using singles you wouldn't loop anywhere.

I use both, but the 'side' against seems more militant. I can think of at least one valid reason why you shouldn't do it, particularly on 2 way circuits, but I don't see why I should mention it - I've picked my side now.

i feed switches when there is a two gang or above switch.wall lights or outside lights.just makes life easier.and you use less cable.you cant tell me its better practise to feed some of these wall lights with the amount of space they give you for connections.ridiculous.i use both methods to best suit situation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see why anyone would have a problem with this. Must just be ignorance having been taught it another way. And don't know how some people have NEVER come across a lighting circuit wired this way:confused:

Reply to Neutrals at switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock