Discuss Neutrals! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hoppy

-
Reaction score
Hi

can someone please advise me as the best and easiest way to see if a house has borrowed neutrals, I have trawled previous posts but can't really find any clear answers.

All help is appreciated.

I have a couple of ideas but just want to see if I am thinking correctly.

My current college tutor says you can't test for a borrowed neutral.

Thanks

Craig

Dont believe everything you hear in college,the tutors have their off days as well and are known to be wrong sometimes
Neutrals! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

needasparks, when you say IR test between the 2 circuits do you mean testing live and neutral from say down lights joined together and test to live and neutral of up lights joined together, if you get a dead short then this indicated a borrowed neutral,

sorry if sound dumb just trying to get my head around this.

Thanks

Craig

needasparks, when you say IR test between the 2 circuits do you mean testing live and neutral from say down lights joined together and test to live and neutral of up lights joined together, if you get a dead short then this indicated a borrowed neutral,

sorry if sound dumb just trying to get my head around this.

Thanks

Craig
It would not matter really, but if you take two separate circuits and IR between them they should have no conection.
Most common is up and down lighting, if you suspect a borrowed neutral just take a switch off in the hall and landing and you will see a cross link between switches or you could IR between lives and neutrals making sure you change switch position to see if lamp in line. This can also be found on wall lights where the live is taken from the lighting switch and neutral hopped of a socket. Again if you see wall lights in a property when testing it is worth testing between lighting and socket circuits. Its only a quick flash with the meter but can save a lot of agro fault finding later and narrows the check down. Thats why a full visual of a property is worth doing before any testing is made and gives you a heads up while your shoehorned under the stairs scraching your head.

hi,

I have no much experience here in Uk so correct me if I'm wrong. You could test if there are borrowed circuit neutrals wires using continuity test. From the panel, disconnect all circuit wires and test between circuit neautral lines. Infinity reading means no common neutrals between the circuit. make two test to make sure...first test is all light switch in off position and the second test in on position. The reason behind is some electricians accidentally connect the neutral to the light switch.

You are correct in theory but you would only get a high resistive reading at best and may not pick up anything if cfl's or more resistive type lighting were in circuit. For the purposes of a Test we have to be 100% that circuits are separated entirely. A IR test will also be looking for fault between circuits also as we offen come across damaged cables. It is very important to understand your what you are testing and exactly what reading you are expecting to get.
Yes you can cross the road with one eye closed but would you ?

Or there is the good ol rough as f**k method, turn 1 circuit on at a time and go splashing on the neutral bar :D

most common is 2 way landing light. to test, switch off MCB for upstairs lights. then test in landing ceiling rose . if you read volts, then that L is from the downstairs circuit.

I mentioned that you do not see much of this in Scotland and in my 36 years I never seen it but the last 6 months I have seen 3. One was last week where I dont think it was meant to be a shared neutral me thinks that because they were wiring 2 light circuits ijn a 2 bed flat they have looped a neutral to the wrong light and when they powered it up no probs. Until muggins comes along anf fits a duel RCD board and yep that soon tells you you have a shared neutral.

i think shared neutral is a better term than borrowed neutral. borrowed seems to imply that it's been taken away from 1 circuit to be returned at a later date, bit like a library book.

most common is 2 way landing light. to test, switch off MCB for upstairs lights. then test in landing ceiling rose . if you read volts, then that L is from the downstairs circuit.

this is how i found it at a customers place.

i think shared neutral is a better term than borrowed neutral. borrowed seems to imply that it's been taken away from 1 circuit to be returned at a later date, bit like a library book.

lol and the penalty for not returning would be................. lol

another quick way is to check switch in hall or landing should be a 3 core between switches if its 2 core youve got borrowed nuetrals
and that little link from the hall switch to the landing switch is a dead giveaway (or live , if you prefer)

Hi

can someone please advise me as the best and easiest way to see if a house has borrowed neutrals, I have trawled previous posts but can't really find any clear answers.

All help is appreciated.

I have a couple of ideas but just want to see if I am thinking correctly.

My current college tutor says you can't test for a borrowed neutral.

Thanks

Craig

Coming straight to the point about if you want to see if the neutrals are being shared.
If you use a clamp meter on a neutral and monitor the load going through it. Turn all the circuit.
If there are no shared/borrowed/stolen neutrals the load will go down to zero.
If the neutral is shared/borrowed/stolen you will have a current running through it.
if you repeat this for each circuit.

Coming straight to the point about if you want to see if the neutrals are being shared.
If you use a clamp meter on a neutral and monitor the load going through it. Turn all the circuit.
If there are no shared/borrowed/stolen neutrals the load will go down to zero.
If the neutral is shared/borrowed/stolen you will have a current running through it.
if you repeat this for each circuit.

I did this on a cooker cct that I suspected of being used for the neutral of some under-cupboard lights. With the cooker off, and lights on, the neutral current at the DB was just right for the relevant lights.

A shared or a borrowed neutral has to be seen in the time it was done technically sparks have come a long way since then ie we would not dream of doing this but then it was acceptable plus some sparks I have worked with were not the sharpist knive in the drawer and technically they could not put a nut in a monkeys mouth plus some were just plain lazy or under pressure to get the job done so instead of looping a neutral they borrowed one they were not to realise that 40 years later a thing called an RCD that just will not forgive you if you dont get the wiring right.

So yes it is all very well pointing or wagging a finger but things have come a long way

Reply to Neutrals! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock