Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss never to old to see something that surprises you in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. martin mcguinness

martin mcguinness madspark

i have to admit i am a self confessed tool nut i cant help myself when the wife finds out i have just bought a dewalt chopsaw and legs plus a makita plungesaw with 2 rails and clamps she might kill me. why a spark would need these she wouldnt understand im a bit like tim the tool man. sorry im going off at a tangent
    i went to one of my friends houses to look at replacing his consumer unit and my attention kept being drawn to an unusual ornament taking pride of place next to his tv A BRIGHT ORANGE CEMENT MIXER it was highly polished and didnt really look out of place. this guy buys tools just because he might need them he is worse than me. when i asked him about it he stated i bought it as i was building a new garage but when it was delivered he wasnt ready for it so he left it in the living room and just polished it and it became a talking point. it gets worse he bought a 2nd hand one to do the garage as he didnt want to get that one dirty
    any one else have crazy mates like this (he is actually the most helpfull and decent bloke you would meet)

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    I so want to do that sort of stuff, but am toooo chicken :rolleyes:

3. Rpa07

Rpa07 2000 posts - only 46379 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    We've got a mate called @Vortigern@Vortigern who managed to buy a hilmor bender for not much money at all then painted it in the original colours and replaced worn and missing parts - he made such a good job of it that @westward10@westward10 fell in love with it and now has a poster on his bedroom ceiling! You couldn't make it up!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. martin mcguinness

fantastic so there are a lot of tool nuts out there as someone said there is nothing better than a polished tool
    as i work at a hospital as an electrical tech i see some crazy things and often get requested to attend a&e with my hand or power tools i have a couple of almost unbelievable stories that are true but boarder on crude but also funny if anyone interested

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    You can only tell the 'bolt cropper' use stories - anything else may frighten us off or require a photo!

6. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

It is not an isolated obsession...i have a penchant for the unusual,the old,and the cutting edge,in the tool job...there does not need to be requirement :)

I have a mahogany boxed precision inclinometer,with an optical,crystal scale in fractions of a second. It can measure the deflection,in a 10' horizontal,scaffold pole,when you put a wristwatch on the end...oh,and it's older than me mum ;)

I'm going to put me new Megger Avo835 next to it,when they pull their pants on,and sober up,re; quoted release dates ;)

7. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

...But did you REALLY need that sink-plunger,to remove Thomas the Tank,from his sphincter sidings? ;)

8. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    "Don't mention the war, or the 835"

9. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Far too many euphemism there !

10. martin mcguinness

i do have bolt cutter story and it might make your eyes water

• Like Like x 1
  11. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Me sister was a nurse, in casualty,years ago,and she reckoned many a Henry-Hoover left,minus it's smile :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Last week, young guys building a deck next to where I was working, lad showed off his new gas powered nail basher. Lovely looking and just the ticket to keep it all square etc. I'm back to work, so's he, then there's a "how've I done that then?". See he's now got a 4" gal nail t bone style through index finger ... not the best... straight to A&E, X-ray says no bone frags thankfully, so nurse says "man up" and pulls it :) . Antibiotics and a bandage and lads back at work. Silly sausage had tried to use the gun to push a nail through a ss bracket and missed the nail hole. Nail did a u turn and the rest is history. I did suggest in a kindly fatherly way that he keep away from power tools for the rest of the day. Advice that was ignored in the finest fashion of the youthful.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Ok as it's confession time...When I was about three I got the tools bug. My father was an electrician. Tools in the shed. Bright red tools, yellow tools, things that drew you to the magical chest. One day the lady who looked after us saw me attempting to use some of the tools and asked "Did your Dad say you could touch those?"
    Reader - my first lie tripped off my tongue - "Yes" I lied. To be fair to me I did hesistate a nanosecond before I lied. I love recovering old tools I have a lockheed drill used to put the lockheeds together in I think 1920/30 my granchildren play with it (no it is not plugged in - sigh)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

When I think back of the tools I used to use when I started and later on When I was a fully fledged Electrician:
    Rawlplug jumper
    Wheel brace
    Swing Brace
    Un insulated screwdrivers
    You know the sort of stuff (if you are old enough that is) how things have changed, I wish I had the foresight to have kept all these old tools, they are probably at some boot sale now going to collectors.

15. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    You know I actually have kept some of those tools. To be honest I have them in the garage, and the garage is a bit leaky/damp and they have rusted much to my dismay. Of course they are not so functional now especially up against "modern" tools. Yes the old method of putting a plug in the wall with the rawlplug tool and hammer. Chisel and bolster for chipping out brickwork for backboxes. Gave you forearms of iron. No electric screwdrivers, again forearms of iron screwing in by hand every screw in an installation, until I bought the old B&D double wound motor drill!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    @Vortigern@Vortigern is the double wound unusual for a power drill? Is that double wound the usual term for power drills ? I've got an older black and decker in plastic casing no less but it has unbelievable torque and without investigating, have wondered.

17. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    @Vortigern@Vortigern is the double wound unusual for a power drill? I've got an older black and decker in plastic casing no less but it has unbelievable torque and without investigating, have wondered.

18. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Vorty, you mention hammer and bolster for chopping in boxes, I have been retired now for a while, I always found chopping back boxes in as pain, but wouldn't use anything else even today. Still I suppose it's all down to progress, people making money out of devices that you can only use on Thermalite blocks etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

I have three sds drills, an 18v a 36v and 110v. Why on earth I need three is a mystery to me, I live by the motto if I need it I buy it. I have Stilsons(ridgid Alu) in 24" 18" 14" 12" 10" and 8" plus a massive set of knipex plied wrenches in XL. Sometimes I look like a pipe fitter, not a spark. If it makes my life easier I buy it end off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

Elliot Lucas pliers....ooohhh...

21. Vortigern

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    @Rpa07@Rpa07 the double wound were the B&D drill for the pro so it just meant they would not pour out smoke when you had a difficult drill job. @Pete999@Pete999 I still use bolster and club hammer. People have extolled the wonders of the armeg sds thing that will cut a box quicker than you could read this. Not tempted though. I like making things I built my own spanish guitar and apart from a router to lay the rosette in, all hand tools. I really don't like the noise and violence of power tools. Much rather use hand tools, just a hobby so I can take all the time I like. Sharpening the tools using arkansas stone and so on fabulous.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

SHUT UP you perv

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

24. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

I still have mine that I bought back in 1982, bit battered but kept for posterity.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

When men were Electricians and tools were Eliot Lucas, or Stanley

• Like Like x 2
  26. martin mcguinness

i will try not to be crude or offensive but here goes
    on a night shift about 4 in the morning myself and my shift mate (mech fitter) recieved a call from our helpdesk to ask if we could go to A&E with our tools to see if we could cut something off a paitent. we have on numerous occasions had to cut off rings for various reasons but nothing prepared us for what we were confronted with. The staff had told us not to laugh and to be profesional about what we were about to see. when we entered the cubicle we had a guy with a stainless steel ring at the base of his male equipment which was extreemly swollen. He wasnt in pain as he had used nearly a full bottle of gas/air so he was well out of it the staff tried my compound action wera side cutters. But stated they didnt have the hand strength at which point my mate realy loudly and panicking said no f&^%$ng way i ain touchin an other mans junk. So when i stopped laughing it was gloves on and went for it angry wasnt the word for it i damaged my snips. So we thought hacksaw so my mate went to get it the guy was starting to level out a bit as he arrived and started to panic so we binned that idea. Next tool BOLT CUTTERS he really freaked out at this point but when he calmed down one of the staff tried to cut the ring but he was not strong enough so i again had to go for it. I bent the handles of the bolt cutters so the medical staff decided enough was enough so he had to go to theatre to relieve the swelling and pressure. Which i believe may cause problems later on with his performance
    moral of the story dont use a stainless ring use plastic as easier to cut off

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  27. martin mcguinness

28. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

Quality matterial .
    Keep em comming !
    (I've blunted a perfectly good file -on stainless)

• Like Like x 1
  29. SWD

Not really on the same path but funny anyways,

Someone at the kids school had a load of the Mums around and the kids, of course the Mums are sat around chilling and chatting and the kids are running around the house playing then the kids run in to the room where the Mums are and one is waving a large pink dildo laughing and asking whats this for..........

Deathly silence form the Mums

Moral of the story, if you have sex toys at home hide them well.........

30. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Deleted

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  31. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Oh go on Pete, don't delete.

32. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Not so much What I found, it was who I found doing something to someone else, on the Kitchen floor, so to speak, I'm keeping my mouth shut.

• Funny Funny x 1
  33. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Fair enough - can't delete the thought though can you? That's sometimes just what you want!
    Hope you are well today.

34. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

I know wrote it all out and had 2nd thoughts, yes I'm fine thanks Mate, got more medical appointment over the next few weeks than Holby City and Casualty put together. Just had me Meds,set up for the day now.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Some sights just can't be un-seen :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  36. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

I'm glad you are doing well Pete .

• Like Like x 1
  37. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks

• Winner Winner x 1
  38. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    pete, just don't take all them sawbones words for gospel. like us they can all make mistakes, and some just invent new diseases to keep their mercs and mistresses in funds. :D

• Like Like x 2
  39. SWD

I opened my front door in central London to this, I now have a vicious Guard Frog.

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 13.40.11.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  40. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

The streets are meant to be paved in gold ,
    Not Golden frogs .
    (Raining Gnats n frogs - since upsetting EU brothers)