Discuss new 18th regs, coming soon to your nearest cinema soon ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think we ALL need to take a stand against the money making machine of BS7671 - just tally up the cost of the exam, the OSG, the regs books, the additional reference material, software upgrades etc

AND then think about ALL the ambiguous regs, the mistakes, the "missing" clarifications .....

and I'd like The Plain English Society to review the 18th Edition before it goes to print ..... which should delay it by a couple of years.

Given how "minor" the recent changes have been, its quite difficult to see how the IET can really justify the seemingly endless minor changes.....

My ideas:

10 years between Editions?
3 years between amendments - and amendments issued free of charge to anyone with a receipt for the first edition
Errors in publications to be reprinted and issued free to anyone with a receipt for the "wrong issue"

Happy days

The problem started when it became a British Standard. With a BS publication you can only make a certain amount of changes before it is decided the publication no longer adheres to the original copy hence they must produce a new Standard.
So the wheel rolls on.

It is nearly 9 years since the 17th came out though, (doesn't seem like it)! And how long was it between the 16th and the 17th....
It's the errors and amendments that really do my head in.

Totally agree with the errors in the books. My new OSG had a slip of paper in it with revisions for table 6. £23 and its not even correct a joke really and the slip of paper wont be easily lost will it.

When compared with BS5266-1 which is in the region of £230 for what is essentially a comic, BS7671 isn't expensive in terms of quantity.

I wouldn't mind changes and revisions, it's just so many of them are pointless and pathetic, and appear to be thought up by someone trying to justify their job. I wonder if the manufacturers of distribution boards paid towards the recent changes, it must be making them a lot of money.

My heart bleeds for you all having to do another exam.

ACS every five years
ACS commercial every five years
GAS SAFE
OFTEC
18th EDITION .
COMPETENT PERSONS SCHEMES.
Amongst other things !

All necessary to continue work for a lot of us Heating Engineers!

You don't have it that bad !

( I know my comments will upset some of you so my apologies in advance ).

My heart bleeds for you. I've told the story before, kitchen refurb I was doing gas plumber turned up to connect up new Gas Hob. One hour & £160 later. Still suppose he has all those, courses & assessments to pay for :)

CPR Low voltage rescue - every year
Working at heights - every year
Confined spaces - every year
Hazardous areas refresher - two years
Boom lift and EWP - two years
High risk working licence - two years
Re new electrical licence - 4 years

It's a money making scheme here too. If you don't have most of the above then your pretty much unemployable to the bigger companies anyway.

My heart bleeds for you all having to do another exam.

ACS every five years
ACS commercial every five years
GAS SAFE
OFTEC
18th EDITION .
COMPETENT PERSONS SCHEMES.
Amongst other things !

All necessary to continue work for a lot of us Heating Engineers!

You don't have it that bad !

( I know my comments will upset some of you so my apologies in advance ).

Yet to meet a poor Gas Safe plumber.

I've been in the plumbing and electrical game for most of my working career. When I'm asked by a young apprentice "what trade shall I train for" I'd reply "Gas plumber/engineer" every time. I'm multi skilled but I went down the route of Electrician as my main trade with engineering, plumbing and joinery as my support trades. If I did it over it would definitely be Gas installer as main trade then all the rest as supports.

I have a guy who subs to me doing my gas work. His yearly earnings last year for approximately the same hours work done were almost 2/3 extra than mine.
I have no resentment towards this. I think its great that a tradesman is being paid duly for what he is worth!
Bottom line is, on average a gas installer can command more money than an electrical installer.

Is this fair? I don't know...

Both trades require good skills, knowledge & intelligence, plus the added responsibility of people's safety.

I think its just the way of the world! I mean... footballers get paid millions to kick a ball round a field and they only require one of the above attributes!!

CPR Low voltage rescue - every year
Working at heights - every year
Confined spaces - every year
Hazardous areas refresher - two years
Boom lift and EWP - two years
High risk working licence - two years
Re new electrical licence - 4 years

It's a money making scheme here too. If you don't have most of the above then your pretty much unemployable to the bigger companies anyway.

Yes, but is it fair ?
once you've got all that, should you need to keep proving what you know as regular as you do ?

Yet to meet a poor Gas Safe plumber.

I've been in the plumbing and electrical game for most of my working career. When I'm asked by a young apprentice "what trade shall I train for" I'd reply "Gas plumber/engineer" every time. I'm multi skilled but I went down the route of Electrician as my main trade with engineering, plumbing and joinery as my support trades. If I did it over it would definitely be Gas installer as main trade then all the rest as supports.

I have a guy who subs to me doing my gas work. His yearly earnings last year for approximately the same hours work done were almost 2/3 extra than mine.
I have no resentment towards this. I think its great that a tradesman is being paid duly for what he is worth!
Bottom line is, on average a gas installer can command more money than an electrical installer.

Is this fair? I don't know...

Both trades require good skills, knowledge & intelligence, plus the added responsibility of people's safety.

I think its just the way of the world! I mean... footballers get paid millions to kick a ball round a field and they only require one of the above attributes!!

I agree. I know lots of commercial sparks who charge less than we do and I can't understand it.
As far as I can see, We should all be on a similar rate. There are just as many dangers in both fields.
There is just as much skill involved too.

Reply to new 18th regs, coming soon to your nearest cinema soon ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock