Discuss New build 2nd fix after original contractor gone AWOL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would do the 2nd fix only after speaking to building control and make customer pay the building control fees to have them sign it off, building control will then have to come out and test it themselves via there own contractor. they may want to come out before 2nd fix then again afterwards.

Whilst I agree with the concerns some have, a practical approach must be made with caveats made about responsibilities.

These properties will be on agreed completion dates & build schedules. To remove the existing work is both impracticable & unreasonable causing disruption & repair cost to the structure.

agree.inspect and test first fix as best you can, then write in a caveat stating the fact that 1st fix carried out by A.N. Other .

dddd that all folks
how-to-draw-porky-pig_1_000000001455_5.jpg
DDDDD

I would suggest some sampling be done to inspect hidden works. Then this would give you an insight into the previous contractors forst fix works.

Then take it from there. If happy with what you see then personally I would not have an issue with signing off an EIC.

I would however make it very clear to the contractor that no warranty will be in place whatsoever for any electrical works. Any call backs will need to be covered by the PC.

Got one of these tonight, through recommendation. I don't really like to refuse recommendations but this one I did.

Something not quite right.
Landlord who needs a second fix including test, cert, notify etc. First fix spark is too busy/is standoffish making him difficult to deal with/has personal things going on/won't answer the phone...... depending on which part of the phone call I choose to believe.

Then he starts asking me about which brands I use for sockets and consumer units, not that he's going to do it himself you understand, he knows a lot of sparks. A lot of good sparks. He has many to choose from. He makes this known several times in the conversation.

Sigh......

Although I am able to do third party sign off with Stroma...I got involved in second fix and testing on an extension and it turned out to be a nightmare. I think the bottom line is if I haven't done the first fix or personally supervised it, don't do that ever again! Quite a bit of two way switching, in the lounge (30 sq. m) and the builders had forgot to cut out box for switch on two two way strappers and switch wire had to fit box and fish them out of rockwool. Supply taken from switched rose in lounge to the next room. New supply cable had to be put in they had to lift part of the roof to get the cable in. Wrong switch wire in kitchen/dining room (should have been in lounge on two way switching again!) It was a nightmare sorting it out and figuring out what was going wrong and putting it right while the builders were suggesting it was my fault. Never again. If I am not in at the beginning forget it.
Oh yes and in the bathroom five cables in two places supposed to be going into lights (no way) had to cut hole in ceiling and wago them and drop down one cable and so on!

Although I am able to do third party sign off with Stroma...I got involved in second fix and testing on an extension and it turned out to be a nightmare. I think the bottom line is if I haven't done the first fix or personally supervised it, don't do that ever again! Quite a bit of two way switching, in the lounge (30 sq. m) and the builders had forgot to cut out box for switch on two two way strappers and switch wire had to fit box and fish them out of rockwool. Supply taken from switched rose in lounge to the next room. New supply cable had to be put in they had to lift part of the roof to get the cable in. Wrong switch wire in kitchen/dining room (should have been in lounge on two way switching again!) It was a nightmare sorting it out and figuring out what was going wrong and putting it right YOU CAN BE PROFESSIONAL UPTO THIS POINT ITS THE NEXT BITwhile the builders were suggesting it was my fault. Never again. If I am not in at the beginning forget it.
Oh yes and in the bathroom five cables in two places supposed to be going into lights (no way) had to cut hole in ceiling and wago them and drop down one cable and so on!
SEE ABOVE.

Ah I thought you were suggesting I look at some comment above mine but presumably you meant this to the OP?
You got to the point of saying about the wiring and putting it right I typed in CAPS you can be professional up to that point meaning although A.P.I.T.A. being a competent electrician you can sort it out what the turning point in the next sentence is where you get the blame as if its your fault and become the villain.

Cheers, I put a price in, plus plenty of caveats....not sure the builder liked the caveats...or the price! So looks like I dodged a bullet. Apparently another guy is doing it cheaper, and is also going to issue full EIC. Good luck to him, but not something I would do.

Cheers, I put a price in, plus plenty of caveats....not sure the builder liked the caveats...or the price! So looks like I dodged a bullet. Apparently another guy is doing it cheaper, and is also going to issue full EIC. Good luck to him, but not something I would do.
best way. a high price means that if you get it, you'r e quids in, if not, you've no redress if it goes ---- up. either way a winner.

Reply to New build 2nd fix after original contractor gone AWOL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net