Discuss New build CU entry and posistion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Visited a new build today with my spark to see his mate and having a look around came across this in the utility room loft.

Asides the horrendous entry i was under the impression from college that regs state a cu has now got to be made accessible and the switches of the breakers between 1350 and 1450..or is there exceptions to this?

New build CU entry and posistion 20180127_145633 - EletriciansForums.net

New build CU entry and posistion 20180127_145640 - EletriciansForums.net

Visited a new build today with my spark to see his mate and having a look around came across this in the utility room loft.

Asides the horrendous entry i was under the impression from college that regs state a cu has now got to be made accessible and the switches of the breakers between 1350 and 1450..or is there exceptions to this?

View attachment 40592

View attachment 40593
At a guess that's the Amdt 3 fire rating screwed...

Regarding the height I would fit a cu at high level, depending on the job. Sometimes it is specified to be lower like in an association new build but I wouldn't want a cu in the middle of a wall at light switch height in my house.

... Asides the horrendous entry i was under the impression from college that regs state a cu has now got to be made accessible and the switches of the breakers between 1350 and 1450...

That's my understanding for a new build too, with the aim of being helpful to someone in a wheelchair. Don't think climbing a loft ladder is in the spirit of this :rolleyes:

What reg stated it needs to be between 1350 and 1450? I'm not saying your wrong I just did not know of this reg, I know they have to be accessible so obviously the loft us a very bad place.

What reg stated it needs to be between 1350 and 1450? I'm not saying your wrong I just did not know of this reg, I know they have to be accessible so obviously the loft us a very bad place.
building regs.

It’s only a recommendation in part M of the building regs I don’t think the CU height is set in stone.
It’s to the height of the circuit breakers.

thats nothing, ive been working in a building where windows are now jammed closed, some windows have smashed, doors wont open or close properly, cracks all over the walls, they obviously thought hiring a structural engineer wasnt worth the money

these are 4/5 floor flats, about 7 blocks altogether and all of them have problems

the electrical side of these buildings are actually ok though lol

thats nothing, ive been working in a building where windows are now jammed closed, some windows have smashed, doors wont open or close properly, cracks all over the walls, they obviously thought hiring a structural engineer wasnt worth the money

these are 4/5 floor flats, about 7 blocks altogether and all of them have problems

the electrical side of these buildings are actually ok though lol
HELD TOGETHER BY CABLE NO DOUBT.

That entry method is very poor and totally unnecessary. Aside from that the sharp edges present a possible danger...As to height there is no indication of what the height is!

Ive only ever taken the incoming through a gland and never had any other circuits go through the same entry with them...not that i could. But as this is what ive only ever been shown whats everyone elses opinions is it ok to send them all through the same entry or is it best to seperate the incoming with circuits?

I can only think that this is not finished yet and an intended 100x 50mm trunking enclosure is planned to tidy it up.
If that’s not the case, then it’s a pretty poor show. At least a grommet strip should be evident!
We can only speculate!

Reply to New build CU entry and posistion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock