Discuss New build dwelling >200mt/2 fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Markc

-
Reaction score
Hi all

We have been invited to tender for a new build dwelling, two storey with a ground floor of 240mt/2. My understanding of Part B is the property will require a Grade B-LD3 fire alarm system. My tender allowed for a LD2 to include high risk areas, kitchen and living room (wood burner)

The developer has since returned my tender questioning why I’ve included this system as none of the other tenders received has. I’ve sent Part B to him highlighting what is required of building regulations and I’m waiting on a reply.

Are we the few who knows of these regulations? We do have to comply with all building regulations after all.

Thoughts and comments.

In the end their Building Inspector will have to sign off and they will be looking for the right grade system. Hopefully :rolleyes:

My understanding is that it is the building owners responsibility to spec the fire alarm and emergency lighting system it is not up to me/you. Of course they will have to have regard to enforcing authorities and BSxxxx in terms of that spec. Had I put in a quote I would not have quoted for something not asked for either.

you should have done alternative quotes, 1 price for LD2 and another (lower) price for LD3. then it would be up to the client (developer) to decide ( with BC agreement) on which level of system they want installing.

Thanks all

Further to my OP I have had opportunity to meet with the developer. It appears of all three tenders mine was the only one offering the Grade B-LD2 fire alarm system. The other two tenders, which I have not seen, apparently make no mention of any form of fire alarm other than smoke:heat:co detectors in certainly areas and I have assumed from this a Grade D system (Aico etc)

The client also contacted his building control office while I waited and they also confirmed the need for a Grade B given the floor area. Do it appears our tender is correct.

you should have done alternative quotes, 1 price for LD2 and another (lower) price for LD3. then it would be up to the client (developer) to decide ( with BC agreement) on which level of system they want installing.

Thanks and I value your opinion but It is not my practice to provide multiple tenders for alternative none compliant options as these will be selected solely on price not suitability. It would be likely the completed project would fall short of building regulations as a LD3.

My understanding is that it is the building owners responsibility to spec the fire alarm and emergency lighting system it is not up to me/you. Of course they will have to have regard to enforcing authorities and BSxxxx in terms of that spec. Had I put in a quote I would not have quoted for something not asked for either.

Thank you but the small print to the side of all drawings has to always be read as it is here the relevant standards are noted to which we should be adearing too.

Hi all

We have been invited to tender for a new build dwelling, two storey with a ground floor of 240mt/2. My understanding of Part B is the property will require a Grade B-LD3 fire alarm system. My tender allowed for a LD2 to include high risk areas, kitchen and living room (wood burner)

The developer has since returned my tender questioning why I’ve included this system as none of the other tenders received has. I’ve sent Part B to him highlighting what is required of building regulations and I’m waiting on a reply.

Are we the few who knows of these regulations? We do have to comply with all building regulations after all.

Thoughts and comments.
Well I was about to question why a grade B was needed but a quick check of BS5839-6 shows that you are 90% correct:). i didn't know about the >200m2 bit!
It does say 'might' be required though. I wonder what determines whether it is or isn't required for >200m2.
The below quote is taken from BS5839-6:
"Grade D is required for new, owner-occupied buildings of up to three storeys, two storey rented properties and existing, owner-occupied buildings of more than two storeys. Very large storeys (>200m2) might require Grade B alarm system."

Reply to New build dwelling >200mt/2 fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net