Discuss New build house, socket near sink in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'd probably ignore the building regs angle and say it was not suitable for the influences likely to be encountered under regulation 512.2. of BS7671.

If I fancied an argument that is.

I'd probably ignore the building regs angle and say it was not suitable for the influences likely to be encountered under regulation 512.2. of BS7671.

If I fancied an argument that is.

Good argument. But that's something you can argue about, like we do. The NHBC guidance, which the builder will use, is specific. That said think the OP said it was directly above the draining board?

Talking of OP...................................................................

Almost anything built since about 1977...and I mean all the massive wimpey, barrat, persimmon estates...all that stuff where you get multiple en-suites etc for a family of 4 and the garden is too small to ride a trike/kick a ball, so let's all play on the monobloc in the street...and the garage is a joke, if you can actually get a (small) car in, you won't be able to open the car door to get out...and air vents have nice grilles on the wall but if you take them off there's 6 screwdriver-punched holes in the plasterboard instead of however many square cm of ventilation there should be...and a "bonus" is a turfed front garden (about 10x8) while the back garden has 1" of "topsoil" and underneath is all the rubble and waste from building the house, and the one next door, and the contents of the skips...and when you view the show-home you see all the nice details, but every single nice feature, like nice handles, coving, worktop lighting, they are all extras, charged at extortionate rates, and you don't even get a doorbell...
Sorry, it's been a busy day...

Basically, when they stopped building double brick, or brick and block!

We moved into a new build recently, 1989, never had any issues. Granted the kitchen was small & the garden is the size of a tennis court. Other than that fine. Get what you say about the size of old house, me parents house was built late 1800's, loads of room and Dad grew his own veg.

Thing is, we all can't live in an older house, just not enough around. :D

Complete with every new build ................

tiny rooms
inadequate parking
tiny gardens
no space between you and your neighbours

why buy one?

Complete with every new build ................

tiny rooms
inadequate parking
tiny gardens
no space between you and your neighbours

why buy one?
In a word - price.
There are too many people in this country wanting to be housed in too few homes. High demand and insufficient supply means prices rise and there is more competition for the 'better' homes. Politicians seem keen to promise to squeeze in more and more new homes but as we know these are barely fit for purpose with their garages too small to put a car in if they even have a garage at all.

I lived in several houses, some brand new some very old. The only thing going for older houses against new ones, is the plot size. Some older properties are a bottomless pit for money, and quite frankly whilst you can't choose your neighbours, your stand a better chance of (type) cliental with a new one. :D

Rising population. People living in older houses refusing to make for others :)

Hum ............... I don't agree with that.

Lots of older people want to downsize to bungalows - but when did you last see an estate of bungalows being built.

There are far nicer and sensible older houses on the market.

Just down the road from me there are 2 new 5 bedroom houses - £850K each.

2 off street parking places each, shared pavement drop. Busy road , with almost no parking on it. Small gardens.

£850K is way over the ceiling for that road and if I had £850K to spend on a house around here, there are loads of 1960's and 1970's houses with big gardens, plenty of off street parking etc, and positioned down nice quiet side roads.

It's not purely down to the age of the house, but just as you don't see estates of bungalows being built you don't see estates of well proportioned, well built houses with ample parking and decent sized gardens.
If anything the price of the property is influenced most by the internal condition of it - a lot of people seem to have made a living out of snapping up tired properties, freshening up the interior, maybe tidying up the garden and selling them on for a profit.
Generally speaking I would expect a completely refitted older property to sell for a higher price than a new build which has been kitted out to the same standard.

Obviously for a fair comparison we're only talking about mass built houses on an estate and not individual one-offs.

My understanding is that the 300mm rule applies to distance from the basin, not the draining board.
Further, the distance can be measured verticaly, horizontally or diagonally.

Wouldn't a vertical 300mm spacing from a sink put it outside the zone for switches and sockets as per Part M? Assuming the sink is installed at the typical height.

Reply to New build house, socket near sink in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock