Discuss New build house, socket near sink in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Part M only applies to new builds where the prospective occupiers are unknown.
As for being 300mm from a draining board, what is the reason for that?
I can understand being 300mm from a basin so that the socket doesn’t get splashed.

Part M only applies to new builds where the prospective occupiers are unknown.
As for being 300mm from a draining board, what is the reason for that?
I can understand being 300mm from a basin so that the socket doesn’t get splashed.
mylogic for that would be numpties using kettles, toasters etc. on the drainer where the kettle steam would affect the socket, or appliance get splashed from sink.

Don't new builds have to have a garage as part of some Buiding reg or other?
Its probably the reason why the vast majority can't accommodate a car,they are not designed to function only to comply with some nonsense

So troubled, I rang NHBC to enquire about their amendment of guidance in 2016, i.e. why & where from? They said it was more realistic, and from consultation with their members and partners?

I also rang Elecsa, who said it was still 300mm yada yada. I've emailed Electrical Safety First, to see if they can sink this one with a counter work top argument.

I've had a bit of a boring day :)

As I'm still getting 'hits' from my post, nothing in terms of a reply from ESF, as yet :)

So troubled, I rang NHBC to enquire about their amendment of guidance in 2016, i.e. why & where from? They said it was more realistic, and from consultation with their members and partners?

I also rang Elecsa, who said it was still 300mm yada yada. I've emailed Electrical Safety First, to see if they can sink this one with a counter work top argument.

I've had a bit of a boring day :)

Reply back from ESF;

Hi,
A common question with no definitive answer but I managed to reach consensus through our wiring regulation advisory group to publish a Q&A – see Q1.54
New, rewired and similar installations - https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/electrical-professionals/wiring-regulations/new,-rewired-and-similar-installations/
Regards,

In short, '300 mm horizontally from the extremity of the sink or basin opening'

Reply to New build house, socket near sink in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock