Discuss New build outside light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nothing wrong with a good healthy debate, as long as it stays friendly it's what the forums here for imo.

Would you use an OCPD for fault protection on a cable?
I had thought an MCB was an OCPD that was used for fault protection (via loop impedance) - so, yes I thought 543.6.1 applied.
Is it your view MCB do not provide fault protection?

Nothing wrong with a good healthy debate, as long as it stays friendly it's what the forums here for imo.

Isn't it going off topic; the OP has asked several times the same question, our 'healthy' debate is not helping?

It was a simple question on how to connect a luminaire?

Who's Ivan? Sorry couldn't resist. Hit the dumb button.

You really do not need to stay. Ian is highly competent and if I can learn then why not continue debating?
Because it is confusing to the O.P. and will give up and not return.
This just goes to show the mentality of same (not all) house bashers (new development homes) instead of parking the CPC in a terminal block, Wago etc. cut it off as it is the easiest and quickest option.

I thought that "double insulated" allowed two-core flex and non-earthed chargers, etc, but the installation connection point (socket or ceiling rose, etc, including the switch) had to have the CPC present and terminated in some way (not just cut back). I did not this specifically mentioned. Any two-core installed cables I thought had to be SELV (i.e. no more than 50 volts rms - and floating w.r.t. earth).

Last edited:
Since we are debating this here is my quandry. The regs say every item of equipment and accessory should have a c.p.c. available, common sense particularly for the situation originally posted, changing class 2 fitting for class 1. Problem is if you introduce an "earth" to a double insulated enclosure, by definition it is no longer double insulated. Can anyone answer this ??

Reply to New build outside light in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock