Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss New build property, need a few things doing by an electrician in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Adil

Adil New EF Member

I've purchased a new build property in Manchester (M29 - Tyldesley).

I need a sparky to sort out the following for me:

1) installation of 3 external lights with seperate switches (front, rear and side of property). 1st fix wiring is already done.

2) installation of a hard wired alarm system with panel installation. 1st fix wiring (2 PIRs and 3 door contacts) is already done.

3) I have already paid the developer for a switch and wiring for installation of plinth lighting but would need that done also. I was wondering if the same 'supply' could be used for installing under cabinet LEDs or is there no way to do that?

4) I plan on having electric underfloor heating installed by the tilers but a lot of tilers have told me to get a 'part P' registered sparky to connect it. So let's add that to the list.

5) ideally I would like to have an external waterproof plug/socket, is this an expensive job?

I have a rough idea of costs but if you could PM, it would be much appreciated

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    impossible to cost this without seeing in person, and also knowing what type/quality of fittings that you require.as for the UFH, it requires testing before installation, after laying and before tiles are laid, then again after the tiles have gone down. this alone requires at least 2 visits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    And for that very reason i dont touch under floor heating .... far too often the next trade comes along and damages it, or when it goes wrong its a damn nightmare to sort out. I leave well alone, its not worth the stress

4. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I'm another electric UFH misoneist. But I'm guessing the OP will have it installed, more than likely being able to turn it on/off from the pub. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Adil

Adil New EF Member

Seems I'm better off using a tiler who has an electrician working with him to save the aggro with UFH.

It would of course be easier to bring someone to the house to price up the job, problem is that it's not built yet. The Showhome happens to be the same house type as mine though, which is handy.

6. Midwest

I understand you get charged a bit more for extras in new builds, but can't the developer's electrical contractors finish off their 1st fix?

7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    as he says^^^. just slip the developer a brown envelope full of £20s. catch him after he's instructed his lads laying the lawn ... "green side up".

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

When I'm doing these floors I commit to test the mat out of the box, after its laid and then when its complete, then 2nd fix.

So it sometimes means 3 visits, but they are all charged for ....

9. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Midwest

Has it ever stopped the tiler in his tiling Lee?

11. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Really is that true? Ever have one go off? Maybe you should put a danger notice on it so no-one will "accidentally" smash it when it starts making a really irritating noise. Like DANGER OF DEATH DO NOT REMOVE! in red?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Doing a newbuild last year and the wood butcher had to move a door over about 100mm as the client wasn't happy with a bit of quadrent architrave. He cut the sole plate and damaged the UFH cable, alarm went off, he phoned me to let me know and I managed to go and sort it out before the wall was patched/filled etc. If it wasn't for the alarm I probably wouldn't of been any the wiser until it was nearly to late/expensive to sort out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Midwest

All you want now then, is one that can alert you to an app on your phone, for the less honest.

14. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

New build?
    Don't get me started...