Discuss new builds and regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Liam1702

I bought a new build from a national home builder at the start of this year. The house was built in December 16 and signed off in December too. I've had a bit of bother about the house as a whole and am in the middle of arguing with there tech team. In the house there is a plastic DB fitted.
The tech team of the home builder are saying that this is okay and because planning permission was in place before january 1st 2016 that the house is allowed to byppass the ammendment 3 mains board change in regulation. Im under the thinking along with other electricians i work with that this is incorrect and that they are just trying to fob me off. im just after a bit of back up... hopefully that they are in the wrong!

Do new builds have these ways of bypassing regs or are the home builder thinking im stupid?

Agree with lee.
If a housing site is priced now then even when the 18th edition is released say July 2018, if the site is priced and designed to the 17th edition previously then the new regulations won't apply until the end of that phase of the contract, say a year or however long the contact is agreed.
New phase of contract new regulations apply

If you have the EIC it should say in the departures section? And it should state when the install was designed as it will of been signed off on the cert?
It's not a departure.
It would in other cases be a non compliance if a plastic consumer unit was installed,however it's been designed to a previous edition of the regulations
Perhaps a note on the eic in the comments section stating this

Big house builders do it all the time. Buy land, obtain planning, do some petty work like a bit of grading and sticking a few man holes in, jobs been started so planning can't lapse. If there is a building reg change like u values for the amount of insulation etc it doesn't matter as it was designed when it did comply.

Big house builders do it all the time. Buy land, obtain planning, do some petty work like a bit of grading and sticking a few man holes in, jobs been started so planning can't lapse. If there is a building reg change like u values for the amount of insulation etc it doesn't matter as it was designed when it did comply.
I think that shouldn't be allowed, if the install hasn't been started then when it is it should be installed to the current regs, in my opinion.

Would you want to jump on a plane with an engine part newly fitted 9 months after regulations had deemed it too dangerous. I'd like to see that argued in court?

Reply to new builds and regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net