Discuss new builds with no rcd protection?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

michaelw6

-
Arms
Reaction score
i have recently been into a couple of property's which are apartments with no rcd protection. there are about 40 of these apartments in this block all of which i assume are the same.
i have checked the main incomer which just goes through an isolator and 80a mcb to the apartment with two supplies, these go into a quickline 2 board with two main isolators either side split peak and off peak.
with 17th edition i did not think this would be aloud.

Im requesting they change the mcbs for rcbos what are your views in case ive missed something here!

When were the apartments designed?
If the design was made to the 16th edition, then there would have been no requirement for RCD protection, even if construction commenced after the 17th edition was introduced.

It's not an absolute requirement circuits are rcd protected.

Rcd's are often the most cost efficient way of satisfying bs7671 but not the only way.

Check the wiring systems.

Unless you use SELV for locations containing baths or showers, every 17th edition installation with such a location will require at least one circuit to have RCD protection.

you say apartments.

Skilled person present?

Janitor/care taker with relevant qualifications?

I agree they should have at least some rcd protection but just trying to think of why they wouldn't.

I guess you could also rule out use of exterior sockets/appliances on anything above ground floor.

Yup I agree I've been reading and I cant really see any valid loop holes as to why they wouldn't put them in.

either designed to 16th or not designed to bs7671 (not law don't forget) don't ask me how they got signed off though.

Yup I agree I've been reading and I cant really see any valid loop holes as to why they wouldn't put them in.

either designed to 16th or not designed to bs7671 (not law don't forget) don't ask me how they got signed off though.

yes 16th edition design i reckon.
but i dont thing there should be no rcd protection at all even 16 required some protection.
although both apartments i checked were not on ground floor...

Reply to new builds with no rcd protection?!? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net