Discuss New ceiling light - what am I doing wrong!!! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Matt Anssari

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to forum, apologies if this is in wrong place.

Purchased a replacement ceiling chandler and wired up, but obviously wrong as fuse keeps tripping.

I've got the two green wires from light (hand photo) to green on curling fitting, where old yellow wire is.

Blue wire from light (hand photo) to far left where old blue one is.

And brown wire (hand photo) going to far right on cieling fitting where old brown is.

Fuse keeps tripping though, sorry I've tried my best to Explain.

Thanks,

Matt

IMG_4796.JPG

IMG_4797.JPG

You sure it's 2 green wires from the light? Looks like 1 green cpc and one grey?

You need to work out which is your permanent live and which is your switch live in that ceiling rose.

Also please get those live (brown) cables into a connector block at the very least! And always make sure the electricity is confirmed OFF before doing any electrical work.

Are you leaving those brown cables twisted up loose in the base ... hope not ... but if so, there's your problem. The metal bits of the base are hopefully earthed and they are making contact when screwed back on. Bang.

Thanks for reply.

The photo of block in my hand is out of the box.
There are two wires going to the labelled earth, ones is fully green, the other is grey BUT with a green thread/string in it.

I am simply the unscrewing the wires out of the block in the hand photo and putting into the old block on the ceiling (obviously removing original wires for old fitting that's still in that photo)

Thanks

Just the clarify the photo of the ceiling block with the brown twisted wires is the old light I was removing so I was mid removing the wires, the brown twisted wires in the photo were inside the actual block but I unscrewed removed and took photo, but just imagine them inside the block.

just call a local electrician. cost about £40 to have it done safely. post your location, one of us may be close. that metal mounting bracket looks wrong way up. original rose needs removing.

Hi all,

Purchased a replacement ceiling chandler and wired up, but obviously wrong as fuse keeps tripping.

I've got the two green wires from light (hand photo) to green on curling fitting, where old yellow wire is.

And brown wire (hand photo) going to far right on cieling fitting where old brown is.

Thanks,

Matt

View attachment 38417

View attachment 38418

Time to call an Electrician Mate, otherwise you could have big problems, it's OK selling people this type of fitting wiring them up safely is another thing.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Matt

View attachment 38417

View attachment 38418
Where are you in the UK?

I do t want to offend anyone, (other than myself) but this really can't be that hard to warrant a electriacian, I'm literally swapping like for like.

The photo (with colour lines) is of ceiling fitting , it has a block which I took the colour wires out (it worked fine)

The second photo with numbers is of my new light wires to connect;

1 = blue string inside (neutral?)

2 = has no sting inside (live?)

3 = has a green string inside (earth?)

4 = green wire (2nd earth?)

Matt

I do t want to offend anyone, (other than myself) but this really can't be that hard to warrant a electriacian, I'm literally swapping like for like.

The photo (with colour lines) is of ceiling fitting , it has a block which I took the colour wires out (it worked fine)

Matt
What are those 3 brown wires doing twisted up like that?

They are the old light Pete and westie
What terminals are you using in the ceiling rose to terminate and what wires are you using or are you removing them from the terminal strip?
Doh! I'm involved now!
Couple more photos, we like to see one of the light fitting so that we can judge you on your taste - it's our reward for helping!

Welcome to the forum.

The arrangement you have at the moment with the round white ceiling rose still in place and the mounting bracket fixed inverted above it is not a good way of proceeding.
With the power off the ceiling rose should be removed and the new light mounting bracket securely fixed directly to the ceiling.
Then the terminal block supplied with the light, as you have pictured, should be used to connect the wiring coming from the ceiling to the correct points.
The ceiling wiring as shown in the ceiling rose picture should be wired as Neutral (N) left, Permanent Line (L) centre, and switched line (S) right, with the green covered wires (which should be sleeved green and yellow now) at the top as earthEarth symbol.jpg.
However if someone has wired the ceiling rose wrong we cannot tell from here.
If you have it correctly mounted and connected and the previous light worked then you have a faulty light fitting if the fuse still trips.

Sorry photos are here;

Matt

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

as both i and RB have said, that old rose needs to come off and the fixing bracket mounted correctly. then the electrical connections can be done using wagos or similar. as said before. time for an electrician.

I think your theory for how to connect the new light to the old light connections is probably OK. I do wonder though if while mounting the new steel bracket you might have nicked the insulation on the cables in the old ceiling rose and now have a short circuit causing your breaker to trip.

FFS. OP wants to bodge it, won't listen to advice. I'm out.

Have you turned the bracket round after comments and still left the old ceiling rose there? Is it really is that hard to warrant an electrician? Looks like it

Reply to New ceiling light - what am I doing wrong!!! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net