Discuss New circuit to the shed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not all landlords are bad. They are round here
Not all people can get an apprenticeship. True
Not all people can do a 3 year course. Debatable
Not many people can gain experience under someone's wing. Just look at the number of people asking for experience.
A sad fact of life, but it's no excuse for launching yourself upon the general public when you do not have the required experience. Until the educational bodies and politicians start to recognise that we need young people to enter into apprenticeships (proper ones, not baking frozen rolls in supermarkets), rather than going to University to get a degree in an ****ology, we will always have this problem. It seems to me that entering into a trade is seen as some sort of second best option amongst far too many people. Where my kids went to school/college it was not even on their radar. I think it was that Blair bloke again.......

Don't get me started mate. My Son also rents, it is just one continuous trail of misery. Unregulated, some of them bordering on criminal. Outrageous monthly payments for ageing old properties that fall far below the standards most people would accept. How's this for taking the mick? Few months ago during heavy rain the roof leaked, and I mean leaked, so he rings the number the dear Letting Agency had given them (he shares), no reply, repeatedly. No answerphone, nothing, just no reply. So, they ring the "emergency" number. Result? They get fined £25 nfor "improper use". If you protest and kick off, you just get threatened with being booted out, as where he has to rent there is a shortage of rentals. Unless you are involved in it you wouldn't believe it..........

You may want to talk to some landlords about the people who rent their property.... Same nasty stories...

A sad fact of life, but it's no excuse for launching yourself upon the general public when you do not have the required experience. Until the educational bodies and politicians start to recognise that we need young people to enter into apprenticeships (proper ones, not baking frozen rolls in supermarkets), rather than going to University to get a degree in an ****ology, we will always have this problem. It seems to me that entering into a trade is seen as some sort of second best option amongst far too many people. Where my kids went to school/college it was not even on their radar. I think it was that Blair bloke again.......

The point I'm trying to put over is I don't know the OP. He could be just a guy trying to learn and gain more info... he could be a d*ck... I don't know... I'm going with the former until I know better.
Todays market and companies are all about profit... Nothing else. That is the sad fact of life!

Not all landlords are bad.
Not all people can get an apprenticeship.
Not all people can do a 3 year course.
Not many people can gain experience under someone's wing. Just look at the number of people asking for experience.
All valid points mate, but would you attempt an heart transplant after doing a short course just because it was all that was available, I would hope that your answer is no. I get it that not everyone can get a proper apprenticeship but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to go self employed imediately after doing one, which is exactly what a lot of the course providers are tempting them with, Yeah do this course and within a couple of months you'll be earning Thousands!!!!!! sadly this is what are lot of poor guys are getting brainwashed with.

All valid points mate, but would you attempt an heart transplant after doing a short course just because it was all that was available, I would hope that your answer is no.

You can't class a surgeon and an electrician together. To get power to a shed is relatively easy. Doing it to the regs is a different matter.
How many people on here that are not qualified to do so tinker with other stuff like gas, car brakes....? Whey want to save money and think they can do it them selves.

I get it that not everyone can get a proper apprenticeship but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to go self employed imediately after doing one, which is exactly what a lot of the course providers are tempting them with, Yeah do this course and within a couple of months you'll be earning Thousands!!!!!! sadly this is what are lot of poor guys are getting brainwashed with.

Again, this is all about profit and nothing else... That's what the guys running the course care about. The industry doesn't care as they will be getting some of the money. This is what we have now. Unfortunately this is not going to change. The market is saturated with Domestic Electricians and Domestic Installers. Does the industry care..... No.

The point I'm trying to put over is I don't know the OP. He could be just a guy trying to learn and gain more info... he could be a d*ck... I don't know... I'm going with the former until I know better.
Todays market and companies are all about profit... Nothing else. That is the sad fact of life!
Couldn't agree more with that last statement!

Last edited:
Not all landlords are bad.
QUOTE]

Don't disagree with the rest of what you said, but I, through my son have only met one decent landlord, an old chap that kinda took my lad under his wing.

Most others are managed by letting agents that pander to their clients whims, new carpets, fresh coat of paint etc, all paid for by the tenant leaving. Turning up with prospected tenants unannounced, checking the property without an appointment.

My lad has the finances to rent decent lets. But the attitude of the landlords (or agent) is still dismissive. The block he was in was without water over a weekend, and the tenants were told it would get fixed the following week, get some bottle water instead. And recently visited him when he was very ill, I was told even explaining the situation, to move my van (commercial) or it would get clamped.

Agree there're a minority of bad tenants, but the majority of good tenants pay for it.

Second rant over.

Short of wiping my tenants arse there is not much else that I haven't done for her, it's like having a second bloody wife nagging me, am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I should toughen up?

You may want to talk to some landlords about the people who rent their property.... Same nasty stories...
Yes, there are a few bad tenants, there always are in any walk of life, but I have met quite a few and generally they are very nice, reasonable people. On the other hand, most of the Landlords I have encountered are not. As I suggested I believe it is that they are using the opportunity to make as much money as possible, and their greed takes priority over their responsibility. We are, unfortunately, becoming a greedy society? I heard on the radio the other day that a couple who earned £74K between them classed them selves as JAM's - just about managing. ??? Managing to do what I wonder.

Short of wiping my tenants arse there is not much else that I haven't done for her, it's like having a second bloody wife nagging me, am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I should toughen up?
I think you should pat yourself on the back then, you are one of the few.

Next time you go round just wear a mankini. She probably won't ring you again.... :)

Lets have less of the landlord bashing please. It's no different to you saying that most sparks are bad ones by basing your information on many of the daft posts that appear on here from so called electricians.

Have a look at the mess some tennants leave behind. Also look at the way things are biassed towards the tennant - even if they have damaged your property or not paid any rent it is a nightmare to do anything about it - the landlord must follow proper procedures and wait it out.

I rent 2 houses out and both have annual gas checks and regular electrical checks (obviously!). Both are well maintained and in good order.

Daz

Lets have less of the landlord bashing please. It's no different to you saying that most sparks are bad ones by basing your information on many of the daft posts that appear on here from so called electricians.

Have a look at the mess some tennants leave behind. Also look at the way things are biassed towards the tennant - even if they have damaged your property or not paid any rent it is a nightmare to do anything about it - the landlord must follow proper procedures and wait it out.

I rent 2 houses out and both have annual gas checks and regular electrical checks (obviously!). Both are well maintained and in good order.

Daz
I'm sure you are a fair Landlord Daz, going by your sensible posts and attitude on here. Actually, I am one myself (commercial property). All I am saying is, in my experience, most of the ones I encounter are not. It doesn't seem to matter what walk of life they are from, they just don't seem to care and will not spend even a trifling amount of money to increase the safety or comfort of others. Some are bordering on criminal, maybe I have just been unlucky.

There were a couple of other anecdotes I had written in my post, but I messed up my quoting technique again (or was it the system!). Enough said perhaps.

Speaking as someone who is currently doing a short intensive course. There are very clear issues with the companies running and marketing the courses in respect of very suptle misrepresentations that once qualified you can walk out there an start work.

The whole sector is very confusing and there are a lot of guys signing up, and shelling out big bucks, turning up and being extremely disappointed when the truth finally dawns on them.

I'm lucky in that I'm not relying on a fast route to get out there and start earning and I'm acutely aware that getting supervised hands on experience is key.

The courses that I have done so far have shown me is that, like most subjects, the more you learn the more you realise how little you know.

Clear as day when you look at the posts on here!

When I did my apprenticeship, I seem to recall finishing college training after 3 years. Then spending the last two years being taken advantage of by my employer, using me as a qualified sparks on jobs.

Seems as if the short course training does the same thing effectively, albeit my last 2 years allowed me to 'mingle' with the actual qualified sparks.

I seem to get weekly calls from guys paying for their training, trying to get work and exposure with experienced electricians (they realised their mistake in ringing me!). Seems there's little or no apprenticeships out there at the mo.

Its with irony therefore, that I read in the PE&I December issue, a piece on 'how to attract new talent into the electrical sector' and a concern of a 'potential of a huge skills shortage' when we leave the EU. Think the answers obvious, but someone other than the 'apprentice', has got to pay for it.

Reply to New circuit to the shed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net