Discuss New consumer unit -I think I've done a very simple 'stupid' - help please. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just swapped out an old consumer unit for a new one - like for like in terms of circuits.
One lighting circuit will not set.

I've disconnected the earth on that circuit and it still won't set so I would appear to have a live-nuteral short.

However I did nothing to that circuit at all during the change over.

I've tried connecting the circuit to a different Rcd it still won't set.

I have also examined the cable at the Unit to check it's not been damaged.

What 'stupid' might I have done?

Is it an mcb or rcd tripping? Is there a crossed neutral between the lighting circuits? Also, if your not an electrician are you sure this is work you should be undertaking and what are your means of testing it

New consumer unit -I think I've done a very simple 'stupid' - help please. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

What have you swapped the consumer unit from and to a photo might help to see if a cable is in the wrong terminal.

Without trying to sound rude I really hope you are an electrician becuase this aint even funny, any dangers could be shouting out if you didnt know what you were doing.

I've just swapped out an old consumer unit for a new one - like for like in terms of circuits.
One lighting circuit will not set.

I've disconnected the earth on that circuit and it still won't set so I would appear to have a live-nuteral short.

However I did nothing to that circuit at all during the change over.

I've tried connecting the circuit to a different Rcd it still won't set.

I have also examined the cable at the Unit to check it's not been damaged.

Where are you situated Mate, someone close to you may be able to take a look.

forgotten to test? What test equipment have you used?
presumably the MCB tripping since you mention possible LN short.
have you removed all loads (bulbs) and disconnected L and N but not cpc and tested between each two of the three?
If you had done that you might know more.

There was a not so recent case of installers not doing any testing and "blowing" away the faults by turning on the MCB repeatedly. Then it had left in a dangerous state which later caused a fatality. So just think about what you are doing and whether you can test properly (not just carry on until the MCBs stay in)

Reply to New consumer unit -I think I've done a very simple 'stupid' - help please. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock