Discuss New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I asked because it is the first time in 50 years that I have heard of an installation being left with a known reverse polarity issue
Its the first time I have known of a customer, having been made aware of the problem, then sourcing electricians test equipment to check an installation constructed by another
I asked.you answered,thank you for the response

Are you thinking what I'm thinking and probably what everyone else is thinking, or am I being just too cynical suspicious. ;)

I thought what you are thinking last night, but then I thought Nah can't be, then I thought yes we all could be right

thing is, everything will work OK, but should you switch something off at it's switch, it will be switching the neutral instead of the line, so there is a potential, if not immediate, danger. have you had a new meter installed lately?

The CU was changed on Friday of last week, the 28th April.
The electrician is coming over on Monday to resolve the problems.
Surely the RCD on a new CU is active on both live and neutral? Whereas it might not pick up a complete line reversal cos "things remain in balance wrt earthing", surely it would pick up a fault even on the neutral line? Does the RCD switch off both lines or just the presumably live line? If only the live line, then that doesn't seem like a well planned solution to me - for an RCD device to be fully safe, it has to switch off both live and neutral, or am I misunderstanding? It is dealing with a fault, how does the RCD know the nature of the fault, it's job has to be to cut off any possibility of current reaching the device or appliance, that should mean cutting off both live and neutral, in my humble opinion.
The point raised by mache about a faulty washing machine etc continuing to be live due to the neutral line issue is worrying. Won't the earthing system within the appliances keep the outside surfaces safe though? Also the issue of the Edison screw bulbs having a live screw casing is worrying too, although we have few of those and nobody will go near them until the electrician has done his stuff.

Surely the RCD on a new CU is active on both live and neutral? Whereas it might not pick up a complete line reversal cos "things remain in balance wrt earthing", surely it would pick up a fault even on the neutral line? Does the RCD switch off both lines or just the presumably live line? If only the live line, then that doesn't seem like a well planned solution to me - for an RCD device to be fully safe, it has to switch off both live and neutral, or am I misunderstanding? It is dealing with a fault, how does the RCD know the nature of the fault, it's job has to be to cut off any possibility of current reaching the device or appliance, that should mean cutting off both live and neutral, in my humble opinion.
The point raised by mache about a faulty washing machine etc continuing to be live due to the neutral line issue is worrying. Won't the earthing system within the appliances keep the outside surfaces safe though? Also the issue of the Edison screw bulbs having a live screw casing is worrying too, although we have few of those and nobody will go near them until the electrician has done his stuff.

Some information to add, On May 16th the electricity company (the main electricity infrastructure company not the name on the electricity bills) comes to upgrade the supply side meter at the close mouth (for those that don't know, close is the entrance way to a Glasgow tenement). That will be upgraded in order for me to have SMART gas and electricity meters installed. This, with the CU replacement, is part of the general upgrade of systems in the house.
The supply side upgrades will include a new isolation unit as the existing fuse box with the big ceramic cartridge fuses is well out of date. I obviously don't actually know what they will be changing/installing as they don't share that information with me, of course! :)

Love the video, not least cos it reminds me of the times I worked with Australians in the Far East! Maybe I didn't pick it up but is it answering my question - surely the CU RCDs are monitoring both live and neutral for faults and when a fault occurs the RCDs will shut down any possible current in both live and neutral?

a RCD senses an imbalance between the L and N current. a difference of 30mA ( 0.03A) is the standard rating for domestic shock protection. most RCDs disconnect both L and N ( double pole ) . the theory behind this is that, should you be in contact with a live part of the installation, this causes the imbalance, so the RCD trips.

Does anyone know an answer to the other question? Is the new CU work notifiable under the Scottish regulations?

At the risk of offending the many kind souls on here who have given their best advice and caveats, I am a bit concerned about what amounts to trolling by another bunch of "thinkers" who have their "suspicions". If you have nothing positive or constructive to say, you should avoid taking part, otherwise you are just cluttering up the place. If you have a real suspicion of something germane, then speak up and give your evidence.
Back in the day, when I had the eyesight and the hands without arthritis, I would tackle many jobs around the home. A socket extension? No worries. A new light. No problem. This is back in the day when it was legal to do so and you didn't have to worry if you were a skilled, instructed or ordinary person! But installing a new CU? Never would have dreamed of attempting that even back then (not that they had CUs back then anyway !!!) and nowadays I most certainly would never, ever consider attempting to swap an old fuse box to a new CU, where would a I even start for goodness sake??? So if that is what you think, think on, that's your prerogative. But I joined this forum in the hope of getting some good advice about a partiuclar problem created (or left unattended) by an electrician I paid. I anyone wants to read beyond these fairly simple facts, then be your guest.
Thanks again to the many people who have given me their considered advice and input.

Just a small add on to the discussion of the electrician's work. At one point during the install he said he would not be able to pass the new CU installation cos the meter tails were only 16mm and they had to be 25mm. He said he would come back and install the new tails foc and provide the paperwork then. As it happened, my wife was out then near to a Screwfix so I ordered online and she collected so the electrician was able to install the new tails. But the paperwork was lost a bit in the rush at the end.
My point is that in some ways the electrician was indeed conscientious and professional. Though obviously not in every way.

Love the video, not least cos it reminds me of the times I worked with Australians in the Far East!
Sounds part Irish part Aussie to me, but they did a good job editing the expletives out of the video. Experience tells me there would have been considerable colour around the time of the fault :)

Reply to New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock