Discuss New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If your electrician changed the tails then the polarity problem would appear to be entirely his fault, of which should never have been left at that. Even as a temporary solution.
It would be good to see the final certificate once provided, along with a few pics. Make sure you also get a building control notification "building regulations certificate of compliance"

OP suspicions and conspiracy theories aside, my learned members on here have given you very good advice, particular the dangers. The important thing, is you get this potential fault fixed pretty damn quick.

My advice would be stopping chatting on this forum, go to your consumer unit, turn off the main switch and do not use your electrical installation any further.

Thank you Midwest. Not my suspicions or conspiracy theories. Such fancies come from some of the contributors.
"Chatting". Is that how you see it? QED - if I hadn't been keenly monitoring and contributing to this thread I would have missed your advice. You are the first to suggest shutting down the electrical system completely right now. For several reasons that is not possible, and I will do my best to manage the risks as others have suggested, until the electrician arrives.
I still don't get it though - this is a new RCD based CU installation, which was installed as a 17th Ed requirement. Are we saying that the RCDs will not provide instantaneous protection in a reversed polarity situation? That doesn't make sense to me.
The electrician is confirmed to return on Monday at 9am to investigate, assess and repair. Depending on the outcome of that I may decide to get a separate, independent EICR/Fixed Wiring Test.
For anyone interested, I'm attaching (I hope!) an image I came across online which shows what electrical work requires a building warrant in Scotland. Note 2 seems a bit confusing!
00431055_001.jpg

It would be great if the OP got back after the Sparky had fixed his electrics with an update

Why do you write your messages as if it is a private conversation between you and other advisors, as if the opening poster can't see what you write? Why not address him directly?
Well he would be reading the replies wouldn't he, so rather than PM ing him I thought others may agree with me, obviously you have a problem with that approach, next time I'll try harder.

Well he would be reading the replies wouldn't he, so rather than PM ing him I thought others may agree with me, obviously you have a problem with that approach, next time I'll try harder.
I don't mean you should PM him. But you, and others, write as if you are having a conversation among yourselves. I think it makes people feel like outsiders on an open forum! Why not just say 'OP, please update us when it is fixed'?

It would be great if the OP got back after the Sparky had fixed his electrics with an update
Can't see how this particular post is addressed to any one person can you, it is what it is a request to the OP that if he feels inclined to let the Forum know the outcome of his predicament, that would be great. No other reason.

@Vol

To answer your query about RCDs in a reversed polarity situation.

It's not that they won't operate, they will as they don't care about polarity. But they will only work when they sense an imbalance. They are not there to detect an overload.

Under certain fault conditions, an imbalance in line/neutral may not occur but an overload will. When that happens, the circuit breaker (MCB) is what should be protecting the circuit.

The MCB should switch line as line is the provider of power, neutral is the return path.

If the polarity is reversed at the consumer unit, then the MCB will be switching neutral, which means under a fault it's entirely possible that the device/appliance will still be live. That's where the danger comes from in this scenario, that and as has been pointed out, things like light fittings which will be live even though the switch is off.

Thank you Midwest. Not my suspicions or conspiracy theories. Such fancies come from some of the contributors.
"Chatting". Is that how you see it? QED - if I hadn't been keenly monitoring and contributing to this thread I would have missed your advice. You are the first to suggest shutting down the electrical system completely right now. For several reasons that is not possible, and I will do my best to manage the risks as others have suggested, until the electrician arrives.
I still don't get it though - this is a new RCD based CU installation, which was installed as a 17th Ed requirement. Are we saying that the RCDs will not provide instantaneous protection in a reversed polarity situation? That doesn't make sense to me.
The electrician is confirmed to return on Monday at 9am to investigate, assess and repair. Depending on the outcome of that I may decide to get a separate, independent EICR/Fixed Wiring Test.
For anyone interested, I'm attaching (I hope!) an image I came across online which shows what electrical work requires a building warrant in Scotland. Note 2 seems a bit confusing!
View attachment 36420

My reference to 'chatting' on this forum, was acknowledging that you still have electrically powered sockets (assuming you are at home on the internet), when as I suggested, you should turn the power off IMO. In managing the risks, is perhaps your choice to put yourself at risk, but should you put others at risk (if you do not live on your own)?

As regards a building warrant, not being au fait with Scottish regulations, I'd be reticent to comment. However, I believe building warrant for a consumer unit replacement is dependant on the property.

Did you use this web site for your image?

Building Standards - http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Built-Environment/Building/Building-standards

I think if in doubt, you should ring your local authority and ask.

Pete999, I fully intend to provide feedback on Monday after the electrician has completed his work, hopefully successfully. Thanks for sticking with the saga and giving helpful advice.
Midwest, the image table I uploaded does show that building warrants depend on building types, which is why it was a table rather than a list.
Sparkychick, thanks so much for your explanation. Under the circumstances, until after the electrician's fix, what I am doing is the following: no changing light bulbs, no unnecessary power use at all, no washing machine or dishwasher, no heating. unused items to be unplugged throughout. Any other socket based requirements, I will do myself, with great caution.

Reply to New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net