Discuss New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reverse polarity is only generally dangerous in a physical way when someone assumes, although you should never do this that something is not live because you believe it is isolated. It is highly unlikely it will damage any appliance.

Hi vol,

I've just got in and read this thread.

I've got to be honest I'm a bit gobsmacked.

I would strongly advise switch off your power now. Phone your electrician and get him out as an emergency call. If he cannot come out, call another electrician.

Please don't wait til Monday.

Get the second electrician to document what he finds and demand the former electrician pays for the second. If he wants to keep his registration he will pay. If he is not bothered or isn't registered I personally would want another electrician to check to see his work is up to scratch.

Pete.

i think OP has done enough to assure safety until monday. he can't realistically switch everything off... freezers etc. he can always isolate both poles if necessary by switching his RCD/s.

i think OP has done enough to assure safety until monday. he can't realistically switch everything off... freezers etc. he can always isolate both poles if necessary by switching his RCD/s.
I understand your point, but in vols first post it states that everyone was pleasantly surprised that the rcd's worked on such an old installation.
I'm concerned that if basic testing has not been done there may be more dangerous or potentially dangerous issues not highlighted. I would also be a bit dubious of the work carried out.
Add to that the known polarity issue I think I would not want to wait. I would also want someone else out to check even if the so called electrician came back and corrected the polarity issue.

What length of time should you leave a known potentially dangerous installation energised until it's sorted?
1 day 3days a week?

I personally would be calling an emergency response spark.

I don't mean you should PM him. But you, and others, write as if you are having a conversation among yourselves. I think it makes people feel like outsiders on an open forum! Why not just say 'OP, please update us when it is fixed'?
Well I don't know what you are going to make of my posts then with my bad spelling and grammar. As when I first posted on here when Telectrix had me for spelling its about the debate we all know what is meant.

I had the same readings in an industrial unit the other day very confusing as I had done all tests turned out to be a loose incoming neutral which dno came out and sorted. very dangerous in this situation as had 400v across an outlet

Well I don't know what you are going to make of my posts then with my bad spelling and grammar. As when I first posted on here when Telectrix had me for spelling its about the debate we all know what is meant.
Spelling and grammar don't bother me if I can follow the point being made. In some threads in the past people have started writing about the OP in the third person, it's like talking about someone when they are standing next to you! It just alienates people and makes the forum feel like a clique. I had a go at Pete, unfairly really, and I've apologised to him which he graciously accepted.

I started to read this post this afternoon taking note of when it was posted being yesterday 5.38 pm I'm thinking to myself give the electrician a fair go if he has done a good standard of installation ,all the necessary tests and has found reversed polarity at origin then would be coming back today/Monday to investigate further. It is not until I read on that you find a week has passed and it has been left energised like this that I find appalling.

Some information to add, On May 16th the electricity company (the main electricity infrastructure company not the name on the electricity bills) comes to upgrade the supply side meter at the close mouth (for those that don't know, close is the entrance way to a Glasgow tenement). That will be upgraded in order for me to have SMART gas and electricity meters installed. This, with the CU replacement, is part of the general upgrade of systems in the house.
The supply side upgrades will include a new isolation unit as the existing fuse box with the big ceramic cartridge fuses is well out of date. I obviously don't actually know what they will be changing/installing as they don't share that information with me, of course! :)
Hi Vol, The electricity company, Scottish Power, have obviously noticed that the tap service supply to your flat needs upgrading, as do most tenement flats in Glasgow. This should not be at any cost to yourself.
If Scottish Power is also replacing your consumer unit, this will incur a charge, a quite hefty charge!
Regards, AldoTheHaldo.

The RCD does not "trump" reversed polarity the danger of reversed polarity trumps the RCD. If we leave aside the RCD for a moment, the danger lies between L-N. This means the installation can still be live even when the breaker operates (or is switched off) in the consumer unit for any particular circuit. The ramifications of that are quite exhaustively numerous.
While I think that the subject has been "beaten to death" I would like to address your suggestion vis a vis the trolls, it is only natural we will confer among ourselves in order to orientate ourselves to the facts presented against the facts not presented which are garnered by inference (we all sometimes have to fill in the blanks). I think any electrician knows there is no way you can leave a client with the situation you have described, I know I could not leave until I had rectified or issued a danger notice and isolated the supply and possibly called the DNO or maybe REC as @MrLights has suggested, (and if you look at his qualifications, I am sure you will attach significance to his statements)
An electrician would (must!) be aware this would break the law and leave the client in a hazardous situation. Personally I find a deep lack of congruency in the assertion that an electrician left you in such a potentially dangerous situation. It leads me to feel that there is something missing. I am not suggesting you are obscuring vital facts, I can accept you may have missed or not be able to know the true situation. The idea that RCD can obviate a reversed polarity is dangerously misleading. Again I can not imagine an electrician could have made such an assertion. Hence the sense of incongruency. Sorry to go on but there it is.

The RCD does not "trump" reversed polarity the danger of reversed polarity trumps the RCD. If we leave aside the RCD for a moment, the danger lies between L-N. This means the installation can still be live even when the breaker operates (or is switched off) in the consumer unit for any particular circuit. The ramifications of that are quite exhaustively numerous.
While I think that the subject has been "beaten to death" I would like to address your suggestion vis a vis the trolls, it is only natural we will confer among ourselves in order to orientate ourselves to the facts presented against the facts not presented which are garnered by inference (we all sometimes have to fill in the blanks). I think any electrician knows there is no way you can leave a client with the situation you have described, I know I could not leave until I had rectified or issued a danger notice and isolated the supply and possibly called the DNO or maybe REC as @MrLights has suggested, (and if you look at his qualifications, I am sure you will attach significance to his statements)
An electrician would (must!) be aware this would break the law and leave the client in a hazardous situation. Personally I find a deep lack of congruency in the assertion that an electrician left you in such a potentially dangerous situation. It leads me to feel that there is something missing. I am not suggesting you are obscuring vital facts, I can accept you may have missed or not be able to know the true situation. The idea that RCD can obviate a reversed polarity is dangerously misleading. Again I can not imagine an electrician could have made such an assertion. Hence the sense of incongruency. Sorry to go on but there it is.

Totally agree Vortigern. Again, if the polarity is reversed inside the cut-out, other flats in his tenement WILL more than likely be in the same very dangerous electrical condition. Immediate emergency response numbers in this situation are...
08000 92 92 90 OR 033 10 10 222 (Free from mobiles). Or dial 105.
More to say on this and others another time. Scary stories!

If the electrician doing the job was working in compliance with the 17th edition of the wiring regulations then he would have carried out two tests on every circuit before switching the power on. These tests would confirm that the CPC (earth) is present and at a suitably low resistance and the correct polarity at every point, also that the insulation resistance (integrity of the insulation) is acceptable on each circuit.
He would also have tested the polarity of the supply and the integrity of the incoming earth supply before switching on.
After switching on he would have tested every circuit with a live test for the integrity of the earth, this also confirms the polarity. He will also have tested each RCD to measure the time it takes to trip after a fault occurs at its rated tripping current and at 5x it's rated tripping current.

If the electrician has tested the rcds by the integral test button only then he has only proved that they work mechanically and not proved that they will provide electric shock protection.

Based on the polarity fault being present on every circuit it is most likely that it is on the incoming supply or the tails.
In my opinion it can now only be considered as being no better protected than it was before he started.

This is a rant. Don't read it if it's going to bore you. I realise that I run the risk of antagonising many with this but I feel bad about the accusations.

OK Vortigern, I'll bite. Your cosy rationalisation of unfounded speculation on the basis of easily refutable logic needs to be challenged. To all others, my apologies, for in this particular post, we have moved from my original two questions (is it dangerous? what could have caused it?) to an argument about the lazy assumption that "I must be lying". How does Vortigern and others arrive at that conclusion? - well it is based on the Notion of Infallibility of REAL electricians who would NEVER repeat never make a mistake and even if they did it just could not be a mistake of such catastrophic and dangerous proportions. Therefore, if it wasn't the electrician in the hallway whodunnit, who could it have been? Mmmmmm (ponders weightily).

The accusation you are presenting (which you lazily disguise as inference) is as sound as that used to dunk presumed witches. In other words, it isn't evidence at all. I originally raised the issue of trolling because I seriously doubted the motivation of some of the contributors, which in my opinion goes against the stated community orientation of the forum. And you virtue-signal this as "conferring amongst yourselves".

Here are the facts, believe them or not.

1. I contracted with an electrician after querying his qualifications and experience as much as reasonably can (for reasons best known to the electricity regulators and the electricians community, there isn't an easy online reference such as Gas Safe which can tell me instantly whether an individual, who carries photographic identification on a lanyard at all times, is registered and in which disciplines he has qualified). And as some on this and other threads have stated, registration on any of the existing (voluntary registration) electricians bodies is no guarantee of competence and vice versa.

2. I had already agreed a schedule with the Power Companies involved to get my meters changed to SMART meters in advance of the CU change. However, due to the need to change some of the electricity supply infrastructure before changing the meter, the CU change went ahead prior to the meter changeover. Both the supply company electrician who was on site to survey the meter change and the electrician who came to change the CU - both agreed the change in schedule wasn't significant.

3. Unfortunately, the electrician who came to change the CU did not test the sockets IN ADVANCE of the changeover from fuse box to the EN 61439-3, BS 7671 Amendment 3 compliant CU from British General. Everybody without exception has assumed that the electrician created the problem - perhaps he just continued an existing problem? As the infrastructure upgrade and the meter changeover have not yet taken place, we cannot be absolutely certain that the cause of the problem does not exist elsewhere from the CU installation. The issues about testing are mentioned later.

4. From what I could see, and I did watch from time to time, the electrician did the changeover from the old fuse box to CU diligently and neatly. The meter tails were upgraded as he suggested they should be. As I mention below, I'm not sure what testing was done, if any.

5. The property is old with both old and mixed old/new wiring, lots of surface cabling etc. I was pleasantly surprised when the double RCD units stayed positive when the system was switched on. I didn't expect the system to fail but it wouldn't have greatly shocked me (punny!) if it had.

6. I have to agree that, all the other issues notwithstanding, the electrician demonstrably failed in the adequate testing of the system, especially after the reversed polarity was discovered. Yes, he used a socket tester only at that stage (I can't say he hadn't done any other testing at the CU only that I didn't see that testing happen), one of the reasons I bought a similar and good reputation socket tester from Amazon - would another device of the same type replicate the problem?. [Here's another logical conundrum, for me anyway. If these devices are so crap, why believe their results? It is ONLY these devices that have uncovered the fault that has led to this long and meandering thread, why has everybody believed the output of these crap devices rather than perhaps challenging their results. Remember, the only testing which has shown reversed polarity, comes from these little plug in devices. Why are they so right even when they are so crap?]

7. Electricians disagree about things even on this excellent forum. Many on the thread say that reverse polarity is a potentially dangerous situation only under certain specific circumstances and the problem should be remedied as soon as possible. Others say, cut the electricity supply now, touch nothing and call this emergency number. Some say yeah, a bit of risk management is OK while waiting for the electrician to come ASAP and remedy the situation, others say that cannot happen, all must be cut now, no exceptions. This is a common feature it seems of electricians forums, disagreements about faults or solutions - either there is a hell of a lot of ambiguity in the regulations or there is a huge disparity in the skills levels involved (but it cant be that, cos electricians cannot make these kinds of mistakes according to Vortigern and others).

8. As soon as I contacted the electrician and told him of my concerns, he cleared his diary for Monday to come back and resolve the situation, free of charge. He has already said he will test every single socket for faults if there is no "central" or common fault/ solution. Me? I am worried that the fault somehow lies with the supply company's system and will mean even greater delays and upheaval. We can all agree that the situation should not have been allowed to exist but given it has, I think he is giving a fair response under the circumstances. This view will never satisfy the vitriolic critics but I prefer to live on my planet. NB We all agree he should never have left the reverse polarity situation in the first place.

9. Perhaps I still fundamentally misunderstand the overall processes about RCDs and safety, perhaps not. However, I can't shake the feeling that if the presence of RCDs cannot detect or protect against a reversed polarity situation, then there is some kind of design failure, or at least a missed opportunity. Given that there is so much safety literature out there about the need for correct wiring - and given that at least one qualified electrician has allowed a reverse polarity situation to exist :) - surely the 17th Ed mandated protections on the CU should cover the (remote) possibility of reverse polarity?

Because I live in an older flat and I am planning other electricity change projects, I read a lot about it. The number of forums where electricians just plain disagree with each other, both sets quoting the 17th Edition etc regulations (which some claim are still only advisory not compulsory anyway!) is scary.

That's enough from me, no more biting or ranting. Sorry to take up so much of your time.

As a courtesy to those who have given me pragmatic advice and information, I will update after the electrician has resolved/tried to resolve the problems tomorrow.

My sincere thanks again to those who have helped make my first venture to this Electricians Forums a pleasant and informative experience.

Reply to New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net