Discuss New consumer unit required in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm thinking of rewiring my house, and see that Screwfix seem to be doing some good deals on consumer units. They sell populated units by Wylex, MK and British General. I remember MK used to be the best for fittings, and Wylex did good consumer units, but which of the 3 sold by Screwfix would you recommend, or is it like cars, none are bad, some just suit you more.

Steer clear of the MK ones, unless you like twisted mcb's, their new RCBO's are a bit of a nightmare to connect up as well. Apart from that, they are nice & cheap, especially the populated ones. Just tried Hager, which is very nice, but very expensive. My next trial is gonna be Wylex, they have some compact RCBO's now, with switched neutrals.

Pity about MK, like I said they used to be good stuff. Maybe try Wylex.

You don't have to look too deeply into the forum to find people saying
a) MK is very different ..they have gone down hill ..
b) BG parts are cheap , but RCDs fail test times too often
...pay for some quality / safety
(think -Cheap in china---THEY don't care ..)

Thanks for the info, very interesting

Reply to New consumer unit required in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

D
Hi, I have received conflicting advice about Main Isolator Switches and would appreciate forum member's help to plan a way ahead. Looking to the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 155212
D
D
Hi, I have received conflicting advice about Main Isolator Switches and would appreciate forum member's help to plan a way ahead. Looking to the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 155212
D
An electrician has recently quoted to replace our old oven. He says that the new oven has different power requirements and he needs to replace the...
Replies
Views
Disclaimer: Not a pro sparky, so i have no intention of doing this myself, but I am looking for options that I can then take to someone qualified...
Replies
Views
Hi all, First post here, hope I'm compliant with the rules! I did do a quick search before asking this, but I couldn't quite come up with the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock