Discuss New Consumer Unit,what do you think ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Maccas

-
Reaction score
Hi
I have been asked to quote for some remedial and extra works such as new gas bonding,new circuit for boiler supply,light and switch in loft,2 extra sockets in kitchen,shaver point in bathroom and change some socket and switch plates.
The customer had a EICR done about a year ago which was classed as unsatisfactory.
One of the faults was the entry hole for the tails being too big and that the tails being 16mm were too small.
The customer wants a certificate to say its all satisfactory when the work is all done.
I will be issuing a new EIC for the boiler circuit and minor works certs for the additional works.
Should I instead recommend a board change and EIC then the whole installation would be covered.
Ive attached a pic of the existing consumer unit,RCD 30ma from the 1980s I think.
Any views would be much appreciated.

IMG_20170930_110002.jpg

Do the works you have quoted for issue the EIC and MNWC, Don't know how you can issue a satisfactory report with out doing an EICR, as for changing the CU, is the only issue with it, the non conforming Tail entry one?

Hi Pete
I have not quoted yet.It seems the only issue is the hole size.who ever did the report put a danger notice over the hole and reported it as a C1.
I have let the customer know that if anything trips the RCD then they will have no power at all.

Obviously the main rcd switch does not allow for division of circuits but that isn't a huge issue. How oversized is this cable entry any chance of a pic.

Hi Pete
I have not quoted yet.It seems the only issue is the hole size.who ever did the report put a danger notice over the hole and reported it as a C1.
I have let the customer know that if anything trips the RCD then they will have no power at all.
A C2 maybe, if was my job I would quote for the work that has been requested, and a new EICR afterwards, you could try and get RCBOs fitted and change the RCD for a Main Switch, but looking at the pics, that avenue may not be possible, if the hole for the tails is the only issue fit one of the tail entry glands.

Last edited:
I don't think the tails need changing only if I was doing a board change.
I will look at fitting a stuffing gland for the tails.
Think I will quote for the work with an EICR afterwards.
Regarding the CCU I just wanted your opinion to see if you would recommend installing a new CCU and why.
I will have to do an EIC anyway for the boiler supply.

only 2 reasons to replace that CU:

1. division of circuits is desirable,but without converting the sockets to separate rings, all you'd do would be to split the lighting. and even this might entail fixing a borrowed L on landing light.

2. you want to add more circuits.

otherwise, best left as is as long as readings ( Zs and RCD trip times ) comply.

I come across this type of install quite a bit. Say to customer, you do understand that if the RCD (start to explain to them what it does) trips, the whole house plunges into darkness. Customer 'Yeah it happens all the time, washing machine or steam iron etc, absolute pain in the arse. We were in complete darkness for hours last weekend'.
Me 'there is a solution'. Customer 'How much'. Me '£400'.

Customer '
upload_2017-10-5_16-18-26.jpeg

Hi Midwest
This is why I posted this question.
I'm not into robbing the customer i.e.need a new CCU,I don't need the money I like to think I'm honest.
My concern is I do all the extra works complete the remedials,test but I've left a CCU that is to be honest is not as I'd like It to be.

If you can resolve the cable entry issue the board is safe for continued use. It doesn't seem to have spare ways for your new circuit.

Have you explained to your customer the benefits of a new RCBO board? no nuisance tripping, modern future proof design? What would you charge, £300 supplied and fitted?
And tested £300+a bit more say another £150

Reply to New Consumer Unit,what do you think ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net