Discuss New cooker dp switch, existing wires won't reach terminals.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Deuce

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Evening all,

Not a qualified spark so I thought it better to ask than make assumptions.

Swapping all switches/sockets in our house to screwless ones, all going fine until I went to swap the cooker isolator switch. The old one has feed top, load bottom. The new one has load top, feed bottom. As such, the wires won't reach their intended terminals, and there is no way of reconfiguring the switch assembly to reverse it internally and leave the "on/off" the right way round on the front.

I'm pretty sure the obvious answer is to extend the cabling in the back box, but wanted to check the best way to do this. Can I just crimp and shrink using any suitably rated crimps?

Thanks in advance

Is there a neon on it?

No... And no I'm not doing what you're about to suggest ;)

Personally I see no operational problem with reversing the feed/load on such a basic switch but in theory someone might later turn it to off to visually inspect and then assume it's safe to make contact with the load terminals as the switch says they're "off". I'm pretty sure that once the manufacturer has labeled things, it's best to follow suit.

I think I can guess what you're thinking but if you reverse the feed and load I'm sure the socket will only work with the cooker switch on. I'd carefully lengthen the cables with some 41a rated Wagos, as long as they can be positioned carefully to leave enough room.

Actually there is no socket or neon so no one would ever know... But I think best to extend the cables.

I like the idea of using wago's, we have thousands at work so very convenient! Any issue with earth being on a none permanent connection like that?

I assume the cable is plastered into a brick wall?
Hollow partition walls are always good to hide an extra few inches
Of cable

I assume the cable is plastered into a brick wall?
Hollow partition walls are always good to hide an extra few inches
Of cable
Yup, plastered in on both feed and load.

Without causing disruption to final finish I have to extend within the box itself. This house is all solid walls so these fun games are going to continue for years!!

No... And no I'm not doing what you're about to suggest ;)

Personally I see no operational problem with reversing the feed/load on such a basic switch but in theory someone might later turn it to off to visually inspect and then assume it's safe to make contact with the load terminals as the switch says they're "off". I'm pretty sure that once the manufacturer has labeled things, it's best to follow suit.

If someone took off the front and touched a conductor without proving dead, no matter what the labelling, then they are fair game :)

It seems to me you are quite prepared to introduce a joint into a system that uses double pole isolation because the terminals are descriptive

Maybe you could get a file and rub the words load and feed out if there is to be worry and anxiety about a possible incompetent person playing with connections

It seems to me you are quite prepared to introduce a joint into a system that uses double pole isolation because the terminals are descriptive

Maybe you could get a file and rub the words load and feed out if there is to be worry and anxiety about a possible incompetent person playing with connections

They're embossed on the decorative skin, so the damage caused would make fitting a smarter switch pointless.

Additionally, I would be going against the wiring diagram.

It does irritate me that I'm making an extra joint simply to do things properly, as to my logic the best way is to avoid the joint and just ignore the markings/wiring directions. I believe that's the best way and if we didn't live in a world where liability is adopted when a person makes the simplest of rearrangements then I would do it. Sadly, we do live in that world.

Anyway, I can just extend them and make sure of a sound connection. It's annoying to add the join but no one can really criticise it.

Agree with that ^^^

If no neon then it's just a basic double pole switch. Scratch of supply and load markings if you like. If someone else ever works on it they should be proving dead before working on it. Otherwise they are not competent to work on it.

If no neon then it's just a basic double pole switch. Scratch off supply and load labels if you like. If someone else ever works on it they should be proving dead before working on it. Otherwise they are not competent to work on it.

Reply to New cooker dp switch, existing wires won't reach terminals.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock