Discuss New cooker tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Surely instead of all or nothing approach, why not a mix of MCB's and RCBO's as appropriate? But the sum total of leakage is a concern
1. The OP has already got the consumer unit fitted and would be a waste of money spent.
2. I don't think the OP has the room for a split consumer unit.

Wow, catching up on all that was interesting :)

Quick update: All MCB's have now been replaced with RCBO's and I've had no issues since. Granted, I've had the cooker replaced since then but it's very unlikely that was causing the issue.

In response to the "why buy an earth leakage tester?" question. I'm just a very technical person with an interest in almost everything. I wanted to narrow down the problem myself. I'm not saying I'm qualified to do what most people do on these forums, but I've learned some things and that's better than when I originally posted the question. Totally unrelated, there's a cheap earth leakage tester on eBay if anyone is interested :)

Thanks for the update Maffoo.

Wow, catching up on all that was interesting :)

Quick update: All MCB's have now been replaced with RCBO's and I've had no issues since. Granted, I've had the cooker replaced since then but it's very unlikely that was causing the issue.

In response to the "why buy an earth leakage tester?" question. I'm just a very technical person with an interest in almost everything. I wanted to narrow down the problem myself. I'm not saying I'm qualified to do what most people do on these forums, but I've learned some things and that's better than when I originally posted the question. Totally unrelated, there's a cheap earth leakage tester on eBay if anyone is interested :)
you got a link to that el tester?

Search earth leakage tester and scroll down until you see the red second hand one that is currently around 32 quid. And then click the agree icon :)

similar to the cheapo i got.poor resolution and prone to giving erratic readings. jaws won't clamp 2 x 25mm tails, but a useful tool in conjunction with MFT , common sense, and scribes on a beermat.

I have a Fluke 360 earth leakage current clamp and it is very accurate right down to I micro amp, which subtends to 240 Mohms insulation resistance.

Reply to New cooker tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock