Discuss New dist. board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hawk

Have a job coming up to supply a new distribution board. I am planning on running a 25mm 4 core swa and 16mm earth of a distance of 30mtrs from incoming supply to new board. The supply is 3 phase 100a tncs. I was thinking of coming out of the Henley blocks into a 100A Glasgow switched fuse and then the swa out of the switched fuse to a 80A 30mA 4pole rccb supplying the new board. Thoughts?

I find it good practice to run a separate earth instead of using the swa. The rcd would be positioned below the board then tails out of it into the main switch. Reason for rcd is because it is a production area with access to outside where outdoor equipment may be used.

I find it good practice to run a separate earth instead of using the swa. The rcd would be positioned below the board then tails out of it into the main switch. Reason for rcd is because it is a production area with access to outside where outdoor equipment may be used.

An extra earth is completely unnecesary, but whatever that's your choice.

One RCD covering the whole DB ? What size is the proposed DB and how many circuits and of what nature and use are the final circuits ? Do you think this will comply with the regs ?

my standard set up would be, tails to switchfuse unit, swa to distribution board with main switch then rcbos for circuits that require it, or even better if containment allows, rcd socket outlets and no rcd potection at db at all

swa as cpc

if its to supply machines used in production, the last thing you need is that rcd mainswitch knocking out the whole area every time you get a small problem on one circuit

and why would you have it as a stand alone unit rather than as part of the db?

Last edited:
I know what your saying, but as usual it's all down to cost. A 32A TP socket with rcd is around £360.

I know what your saying, but as usual it's all down to cost. A 32A TP socket with rcd is around £360.

Well if cost is the issue, then you need to give the customer the options(with the possible negaitive effects of cheaper choices)

and let him decide, and put it in his court when or if there are any issues later on

you dont want the phone calls in a months time that the machines are abit leaky and keep knocking out the whole board!

if you give him the choice at the start, problems afterwards are billable! ;)

No it's not all down to cost it's about appropriate design and compliance with the regs.
Is that what price you have been quoted for a 32A RCD socket ? because if you look around they should easily be less than a hundred each.
RCBO is not an expensive solution is it ?

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/mk-electric-single-socket-outlet-prewired-30ma-rcd-protected-tp%2Bn%2Be-32a-380-415v/1050079403/ProductInformation.raction

Haven't the regs to hand but I'm guessing minimum disruption?

I think if you are designing a commercial production area installation and you are not aware of the requirements you are going to need your regs at hand.
Also if you are pricing a job using random internet prices instead of getting accurate quotes from wholesalers you're going to price yourself out of the job anyway.

The job isn't for a while yet so haven't sat down and designed it yet. Was just getting opinions and suggestions. 2 heads is better than 1 and all that! I only use the internet for rough ideas on prices. I will get a quote from wholesalers once I have it designed. It will be inline with the regs as is all my work, so yes will have it at hand once I get the time to sit down and plan it out.

First thing is check if rcd protection is actualy required there are ways of designing the installation so that rcds are not required , im not saying you won't need rcds but look at alternatives first

Reply to New dist. board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock