Discuss New Distribution Circuit to existing consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Toneyz

Do not know all details but Contracts Manager we know has had EICR done (not seen it yet) but the attached garage has a socket in it not sure if it is on ring or just spurred off ring into garage but a plastic 2/4 way PLASTIC consumer unit has been installed fed from this circuit containing 2 x 16A mcb's feeding sockets in conservatory the EICR has picked this up and he has asked us to put a new supply to feed this from existing main consumer unit as this report should have picked up plastic C.U.. Now my question is although I am installing a new sub-distribution circuit to the garage c.u I am not required to replace the existing garage plastic C.U. am I.

Only your new installation work needs to comply to bs 7671 it’s not an issue if an existing consumer unit is plastic as they are millions out there and there is no need to change to metal unless you are installing one yourself.
New circuits can be added to a plastic consumer unit no problem if it’s in an acceptable condition and can except the added load/circuit.
If it’s fit for purpose then leave it be.

As for the report it’s not necessarily a requirement to code the plastic consumer unit unless it’s believed to warrant a code or maybes just a note in the comments section of the eicr

Last edited:
It will be removing 2.5/1.5 T&E spurred off garage socket feeding garage existing plastic c.u. in garage and installing new supply (sub dist. circuit) to it from main c.u..

Then if the consumer unit is in an acceptable condition it can be left.
Just make sure your distribution circuit complies , adequate circuit protection, reference methods etc.
If your using swa as the distribution circuit then maybe you might not be able to gland in the cu so metal maybe an alternative but not necessarily essential.

Then if the consumer unit is in an acceptable condition it can be left.
Just make sure your distribution circuit complies , adequate circuit protection, reference methods etc.
If your using swa as the distribution circuit then maybe you might not be able to gland in the cu so metal maybe an alternative but not necessarily essential.
It is a old Tenby C.U as main C.U. and garage c.u has 20mm K.O's so can have earth nuts both ends.

So you have a socket in the Garage, with a spur from that socket feeding a Consumers unit in the Garage correct? Sounds like a bit of a bodge job Ant, and he wants you to run a new larger supply from the Main C/U to feed the Garage C/U again is that correct? what is intended to be fed from the newly supplied Garage C/U?

So you have a socket in the Garage, with a spur from that socket feeding a Consumers unit in the Garage correct? Sounds like a bit of a bodge job Ant, and he wants you to run a new larger supply from the Main C/U to feed the Garage C/U again is that correct? what is intended to be fed from the newly supplied Garage C/U?
The circuits are existing in the garage c.u.are 2 x 16A mcb's feeding sockets in the conservatory and outside sockets (rcd protected).A spur of a spur feeding the garage c.u.

Reply to New Distribution Circuit to existing consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net