Discuss New E7 meter. Do I still need a timer for storage heater circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Update: "Experienced" meter installer arrived. Landlord said he changed the meter again to one "suitable for storage heaters". He still has 230v on the fifth terminal. Said its either a short circuit in the installation or thats how it is and you need to have the storage heaters connected and then the meter will recognize there is a load. Packed his tools and off he went lol. Landlord losing the will to live and I'm totally bemused. Beginning to think I will need to install a timer to control the storage heaters :-(

Last edited:
We are talking about the prepayment meter you showed a pic of right.? If so rubbish the meter needs to be programmed to e7 on my area 45 for general domestic 24hr supply, 49 for E7, 116 for e10, it is as simple as that, get the customer to change suppler if no joy. Having said that are you sure you are not getting back feed from the installation on that 5th terminal.?The only way to prove is to have it out.

Just to add when I mean back feed, the E7 tails from CU are live 24hrs.? If that is the case not a metering issue. You need to establish this, going by what you have been told by the mop.

Just to add when I mean back feed, the E7 tails from CU are live 24hrs.? If that is the case not a metering issue. You need to establish this, going by what you have been told by the mop.
Hi Dave. Yes its that meter . I established that the 5th terminal (off peak) was live before i even carried out the installation of the off peak consumer unit and storage heater circuits. After having three guys out now all admitting that "something" is wrong and even replacing the meter twice we are losing faith in the supplier. I'm back at the property tomorrow and I'll do a belt and braces check yet again just for my own sanity, I think the outcome will be that we look at a new supplier. Fortunately the property is currently between tenants. Thanks Dave for the info fortunately I'm maintaining my sense of humor .

The tariff code could be single rate, hence both live. Do you have j screen and k ?if not it's single. Set for 24hrs suppy
Hi Dave. I only have screens A, B, E, F, G, H, I, R, S and T. Disconnected the E7 tails from the Henleys out of meter and definitely still live from the meter. No back feed.

Last edited:
Latest photo since supplier removed isolator and fitted Henley blocks. Seriously think I need to get landlord to find another supplier. Unbelievable such a simple thing is so difficult to sort.

IMG_20170731_131720.jpg

I know its been stated twice before, and at the risk of sounding like a bit of a lemon, when (i.e. time of day) are you testing E7 output?

Hi Dave. I only have screens A, B, E, F, G, H, I, R, S and T. Disconnected the E7 tails from the Henleys out of meter and definitely still live from the meter. No back feed.
I can confidently tell you, with those screens it is still on general domestic 24hrs supply on both terminals which is correct.The prepayment meter needs to be reprogrammed to E7, once that is done, as I said some post back, you will see J screen (off peak reading) k screen (e7 off peak tariff price) Is the customer asking the suppler to change tariff to E7 .? Hope this helps. Good luck.

I can confidently tell you, with those screens it is still on general domestic 24hrs supply on both terminals which is correct.The prepayment meter needs to be reprogrammed to E7, once that is done, as I said some post back, you will see J screen (off peak reading) k screen (e7 off peak tariff price) Is the customer asking the suppler to change tariff to E7 .? Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thanks Dave. Yes from the outset all the landlord has wanted is to have economy 7 meter. British Grasp said no problem but its been fun trying to get it sorted. I've sent landlord an email that he can forward to BG in one last attempt. Thanks again all, was beginning to doubt myself.

Just to add, are sure the customer is not on a fixed tariff?, (tied in like a mortgage) because that could be the problem, but I am sure they would have told him.?

Just to add, are sure the customer is not on a fixed tariff?, (tied in like a mortgage) because that could be the problem, but I am sure they would have told him.?
No, not on a fixed tariff Dave. Latest news is they are sending out a new prepayment meter key which will sort the issue.......... Watch this space.

So... BG have sent out a "tag number" for Landlord to get a new key. Tag number doesn't work. Its a comedy of errors... Landlord emailing complaints department now.... Happy days.

Reply to New E7 meter. Do I still need a timer for storage heater circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net