Discuss New Electrical Install Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an electrician installing a new light and ring circuit for a loft conversation. He has joined the cables using block connectors which are in turn covered with electrical tape. Some of the earth cables are exposed. Could someone please tel me if this meets UK regulations.

Kind regards

Asosoon.

P.S. I'm not an electrician.

Then they should be in an enclosure of some sort, and the earths should be sleeved for identification.
I'm sure this will be corrected if you ask.

If they are screw terminals then this joint in the cable needs to be also available for future inspection. If it will not be able to be accessed from below the ceiling then there must be access made to get to it from above. Either that or a different type of joint known as maintenance free will be required.

I'm sorry but I would have serious concerns about using block connectors wrapped in tape, I would seriously question their competence.

It's a loft conversion. Much like a kitchen fit,I find that the chances of an actual electrician being involved are dramatically reduced in these cases.
I would take a stab that these block connectors are used for spotlights with the cpcs floating about.

It's obviously been a quiet weekend on here to be arguing about connectors. Me & Andy could start disagreeing again about plate switches in bathrooms or I could start a thread about hot tubs :)

Hello,

I have an electrician installing a new light and ring circuit for a loft conversation. He has joined the cables using block connectors which are in turn covered with electrical tape. Some of the earth cables are exposed. Could someone please tel me if this meets UK regulations.

Kind regards

Asosoon.

P.S. I'm not an electrician.

This does not meet the regs and you are right to question this. You should raise this with the builder and the spark.

If you are met with black looks or bs, then keep a watch on what they do next. Some of our eastern European colleagues seem to think that tape and hidden screw connector junction boxes are fine.... Which they are not in most cases.

I would also suggest that you check that they will be providing you certificates for all modified circuits and labc part p notification for new circuits and or fuse board changes

Reply to New Electrical Install Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net