Discuss New extension Kitchen appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
I am in the middle of wiring my extension and just after some advice regarding the appliances.

I am thinking of running a radial to a double back box for grid switches for four appliances (freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer and fridge) and then having a sepearate kitchen ring.
Is this best option or can I have the appliances on the ring main too?

Thanks

If you had the appliances on the grid switch that was fed by the ring final circuit then you would have make sure the grid switch was bang in the middle of the ring..I personally think having the grid on a ring final is bad design. What size radial was you thinking of running and what would the installation method be?

It will be run under the floorboards and then capped to the back box and then 2.5mm to a single socket for each appliance, protected by 20A mcb on a splitter board

Well technically you can only put 4mm^2 on a 32A MCB if it's installed ref method C for it's whole length. Are there any other derating factors?

I was about to say the same...if you go on the averages of 500W freezer, 200W fridge, 2500W tumble dryer and 2000W washing machine when heating.....Thats about 22A. I don't like grid switches and would just install the appliance sockets in an adjacent cupboard. If you do want a grid switch then I would look at taking a couple of feeds to it.

No because you could overload a 2.5 with those appliances, frankly you seem to be guessing here and for your own safety you should get an electrician in.

You really need an electrician. If you use 2.5 then you will have to use a 20A breaker. That could well be overloaded with those appliances. Also it isn't a great idea to have fridge and freezer on with other stuff....given the opportunity these could go on dedicated circuits.

Two separate circuits seems a lot of extra work just to have extra isolation points. Going to run the appliances on a dedicated 32A ring and then also have a kitchen ring.
Thanks for the help kingeri

That is correct but I don’t have any 4mm and not likely to get any tomorrow and have to be done by end of play tomorrow. Also less due to cable to each appliance from switch.

Due to the position of the separate integrated fridge and freezer I am going to have switched fuse spurs on other side of the wall and a single socket on load side. Looking at regs there is nothing to say there is anything wrong with this.
Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Reply to New extension Kitchen appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net