Discuss New fan isolator switch - different markings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mik

-
Reaction score
Just joined for help - hello all :)

I am NOT an electrician, but I am able to switch off the supply to change light switches and plug whatever was in L1, L2 or Common into the new switch.

I bought a new chrome fan isolator switch today to replace a nasty plastic one however, and the markings aren’t the same. So I am stumped. :oops:

The current switch has L1, L2 and Neutral, with the earth not wired (I know I will need to add the earth to the chrome switch).

The new switch however has 3 terminals marked L1, 3 marked LCom, and 3 blanked off L2 terminals.

Have I bought the wrong thing, or can someone knowledgeable map the original to the new for me?

Much appreciated!

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/p5zEbi9.jpg

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/eiyh4Oo.jpg

TJ - much appreciated. :cool:

However - as I have very basic knowledge only, I am not sure I understand sir.

Are you saying i can wire it as per the original?
Ie
- one black into L1, the other into LCom below
- one brown into L1, the other into LCom below
- one grey into L1, the other into LCom below

(House is 2yrs old so fuse box is all nice trip switches)

Thanks in advance.

Ie

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you got it. the feeds in go to com and the out to the fan go to L1

The black cores should have a bit of brown sleeving on each and the greys should be identified blue in the same way. And the CPCs look like they're twisted together and stuffed in one sleeving. They will need connecting to the earth terminal on the new switch. All very rough as installed for a 2 year old installation, but no surprise these days.

Ie

Thanks in advance.

Yes, exactly that plus make sure you connect your circuit protective conductor (earth) to the earth terminal.

Do ensure you isolate correctly first...

Something not right with that switch I would personally get a refund.

It's just a standard 3 gang switch with the L2 two way terminals blanked off and a single rocker for operating all 3 switches. I think it's the way the centre switch is arranged the opposite way round to the outer two that makes it look a bit confusing.

How right you are Sir.
Having already scanned Table 537.4 earlier today, I looked this one up. It is a functional switch - not an isolator.

View attachment 45455

Someone posted this earlier today: Excel 3 Pole Fused Fan Isolator Switch - White | QVS Direct - https://www.qvsdirect.com/excel-3-pole-fused-fan-isolator-switch-white?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjvXeBRDDARIsAC38TP5ZRzR4QHnsjOkHbN-H4zGAlR_Lztn6jQwh60_k3q3bWmrIeq71GHkaAhbjEALw_wcB

See the specs: Fan Isolator Switch Module – BS EN 60669-1

?

It’s the right switch. It is just a little confusing that the back has been repurposed from another type of switch.
I bet their 1 gang 1 way switches have the same back on them as a 2 way but with L2 blanked off.

Reply to New fan isolator switch - different markings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net