Discuss New Hard Wired Smoke Alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Colin71

Hello, everyone.

Four weeks ago, an electrician came to my flat and installed a smoke alarm. He wired it up to the lights on the fuse box. A cable runs from the fuse box, into the alarm on the ceiling right next to it. Here's the thing. Since installing it, the cost of my electricity has gone through the roof. I was paying £15 a week on a prepaid meter before the installation, that's now £25. What could be causing it? Has he installed it wrong?

Other details: The alarm started to make a weird bleeping sound some 30 minutes after it was installed. That stopped after half an hour. Once I noticed how much electric it was eating, I removed the unit from the ceiling mounting. My electric is still haemorrhaging. The battery was a Duracell, so naturally I'd assume it died almost immediately. I'd be grateful if you could help with this matter as it's driving me potty. I simply can't afford to pay such ridiculous amounts for electricity and I'm clueless as to what to do about it.

Thanks,

Clueless electric user.

A smoke alarm would not be causing so much energy consumption. Would it be possible to contact the landlord about it and get him to get in contact with the electrician, you should not remove the devce as its there for safety.!! Out of intrest what heats your hot water in the flat.? Could have a stuck timer/stat on your immersion?!

is the immersion on a timer which has inadvertently been switched to manual?

Reply to New Hard Wired Smoke Alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net