Discuss New here... and here is a an interesting DB I've come across... need some help with EICR for it! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Why not put a clamp meter on the tails (each one at different times) and see what load it's pulling?

Last edited:
@Ian1981 swimming pool pumps, sauna, spa air pump are high demand (for a residential install) and they are normally in use simultaneously. Then add in an electric hob, and oven and we are starting to pull close to 80amps.
I'm lazy with my demand calculations... but I suspect that the demand is higher than 125Amps. I can see 40 Amps in the swimming pool plant room. There are 2 kitchens and 3 american fridges. Air conditioning and a 16Amp inverter for motor drive in a workshop.

@Ian1981 swimming pool pumps, sauna, spa air pump are high demand (for a residential install) and they are normally in use simultaneously. Then add in an electric hob, and oven and we are starting to pull close to 80amps.
I'm lazy with my demand calculations... but I suspect that the demand is higher than 125Amps. I can see 40 Amps in the swimming pool plant room. There are 2 kitchens and 3 american fridges. Air conditioning and a 16Amp inverter for motor drive in a workshop.
I here what you are saying and you maybe right.
Is there evidence of thermal damage anywhere, particularly the protective fuses supplying the installation, are they hot to touch ,including the main switch at the dist board?

@Ian1981 I have...

If I sum L1,L2 and L3 (which is actually all L1 because it is not 3 phase) then I arrive at around 28 Amps and that is a "quiescent" current... there was no one home. That is all just fridges and pool filtration.

I obviously can then see that 28Amps (all of it) on the neutral. Because the current is all flowing through that conductor.

So I can see the building demand being in excess of 125A and that is fine when you consider the line conductors and the 125A x 3 switching of the line conductors.... but there is a 125A switch in the neutral and it all goes through that one pole.

@Ian1981 I have...

If I sum L1,L2 and L3 (which is actually all L1 because it is not 3 phase) then I arrive at around 28 Amps and that is a "quiescent" current... there was no one home. That is all just fridges and pool filtration.

I obviously can then see that 28Amps (all of it) on the neutral. Because the current is all flowing through that conductor.

So I can see the building demand being in excess of 125A and that is fine when you consider the line conductors and the 125A x 3 switching of the line conductors.... but there is a 125A switch in the neutral and it all goes through that one pole.
Fair enough you are the inspector.
Looks like they will require 2 or 3 phase

@Ian1981 No evidence of thermal damage. Main switch makes and breaks. No heat anywhere in and around the DB.

It has been installed like this for 20+ years.... but I don't want to be the one to EICR it as OK and then the smoke comes....

@Ian1981 No evidence of thermal damage. Main switch makes and breaks. No heat anywhere in and around the DB.

It has been installed like this for 20+ years.... but I don't want to be the one to EICR it as OK and then the smoke comes....
I would honestly do a load check with a clamp meter.
You could always advise that the installation may need upgrading in terms of loading but if it's been functioning for years as it is then it maybe adequate.
No heat damage anywhere especially the main switch and cut out fuse plus terminals may indicate that it's not being overloaded. just a thought pal

Why not put a clamp meter on the tails (each one at different times) and see what load it's pulling?

That will only give an instantaneous snapshot, it won't help with the point in question.
Measuring the maximum and average demand can only be done with a data logging meter over a period of time.

Reply to New here... and here is a an interesting DB I've come across... need some help with EICR for it! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock