• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss New house - does the CU comply to the current regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

So I was in a new build today - signed off 3 months ago...

No surface trunking, all cables in walls and ceilings ..... the OCPD's for circuits 1 to 3 look wrong to me

Discuss!

New house - does the CU comply to the current regs Andrea CU - EletriciansForums.net

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think that the installation has to comply with the regulations at the time of design of the install, so if it was designed 10 years ago and just not built until now it might be legitimate.
I don't think it's credible to claim that a domestic electrical installation has been designed 10 years before its construction. For big projects there is good reason for that (but not with undue delay in starting) but it would be a nonsense to claim that for a domestic and certainly with that length of time passing.

I don't think it's credible to claim that a domestic electrical installation has been designed 10 years before its construction. For big projects there is good reason for that (but not with undue delay in starting) but it would be a nonsense to claim that for a domestic and certainly with that length of time passing.
And if it was the case, I doubt they would have fitted a metal clad dual RCD High Integrity Board

Being's though that 10 years ago, they had the forethought to anticipate fitting a ferris metal CU in anticipation of a regulation update, they would of done the same for the other anticipated reg changes.

Looks like someone's dropped a metal clad clanger.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think that the installation has to comply with the regulations at the time of design of the install, so if it was designed 10 years ago and just not built until now it might be legitimate.
You are correct however if someone was installing now to a design that was ten years old I would be raising more than an eyebrow.

you think that's bad ,been to a customers house today .
to put back there light .they had upgrade c/u not one sticker on ,done two weeks ago ,ask the customer any paper work with that ,no he said .I will chase the spark that fitted it.

Lack of RCD protection .......... obviously.

Dual colour label - wtf
Smoke alarms label - not completed

And no, the design wasn't 10 years ago ......
Sorry I thought you actually meant that they were wrong types etc

you think that's bad ,been to a customers house today .
to put back there light .they had upgrade c/u not one sticker on ,done two weeks ago ,ask the customer any paper work with that ,no he said .I will chase the spark that fitted it.
good luck with that, probably cash in hand

Reply to New house - does the CU comply to the current regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back