• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss New insall in workshop and CU change in house advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

PHS

-
Reaction score
Morning everyone,

I am looking for some advice and knowledge to help jog my memory as it’s been a few months since I finished my course and due to health reasons, I had to give up my job on site as a mate and start working for myself after 4 months off work.

This will be the first job I have had that lets me join a competent bodies scheme as they require a “big” job to come down and assess.

Basically, a fella has had a workshop built in the garden and wants it powered up and the old consumer unit in the house is extremely outdated and will be replaced too.

If you could please look over what I intend to do and pin point any mistakes or alterations that I may have over looked I would be most grateful.
The old CU in the house is fitted with B30 and B5 breakers from http://www.gepowercontrols.com

New insall in workshop and CU change in house advice IMG_1541[1] - EletriciansForums.net

I would be looking at replacing this with a 11 Way Metal Consumer Unit-100 Amp Switch with a 63 Amp 30mA RCD 2 Pole-Wylex, Two 6 Amp Wylex MCB's, Three 32 Amp Wylex MCB's and a non protected 40 Amp Wylex MCB for run out to workshop.

30m run of 6mm SWA out to workshop and a 5 Way Metal Consumer Unit - 100 Amp Switch with a 40 Amp 30mA RCD 2 Pole - Wylex, One 6 Amp Wylex MCB running Two 2ft 18w Non Corrosive Weatherproof Fluorescent Light Fittings and Two 20 Amp Wylex MCB's on the Two radial circuits.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this set up as, although i have been a mate for 4 years and done the course, i'm still wet behind the ears after having so much time off work and not being around the industry for a few months now.
Many thanks in advance

Not a good idea putting all 5 MCBs on the one RCD. Daz

You'll need what they call, a ''High Integrity'' CU where at least one of the MCB's will be unprotected by either of the RCD's. Either that or an all RCBO CU, where the supply out to the workshop will be protected by an MCB.

I take it you will be using an appropriately sized SWA buried cable for this new workshop supply??

BG 13 way hi-integrity CU was £60 from screwfix. not metal box though. why you want metal box?

I take it you will be using an appropriately sized SWA buried cable for this new workshop supply??

the cable will be run along the wall of the house, across the top of a fixed gate and along the wall of the garage to the new workshop, all clipped and out of the way of any traffic.

just need to verify the connections to the gas and water then.

i suppose i have to go get myself a Torque Setting VDE Screwdriver as well now too, seeing as its my test piece?
there was a lot of talk about them in the centre and i know there is mixed reviews as to the need for them

10 Way Hi Integrity Dual RCD + 100A Main Switch Consumer Unit

would i be better going for something like this then for the house CU?
with a 40 amp rcbo for run out to workshop?

The reason you are going for a High Integrity CU, is that you have an unprotected way (MCB) at the house CU. Otherwise you're not going to have any discrimination between the RCD device in the workshop CU and the RCD in the house CU!!! The SWA sub-main does not require RCD protection.....

Reply to New insall in workshop and CU change in house advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back