Discuss New install in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I used to post here a fair bit many moons ago but I can't remember my old password not does the password reminder recognise my email so even if this appears like a first post its not lol.

Bit of background. We've been asked to complete an install for a local country hotel/spa. Its a function room building approx 50m long to hold 350 guests, bar area, commercial kitchen, toilets, cellar and outdoor terrace area. No gas service is being supplied to the new building. The details are vague to say the least and projects with this client in the past can change from one day to the next as the work is in progress. To say it never runs smoothly is an understatement and because of this I havent given a price and will just invoice accordingly for labour and materials periodically. We have had confirmation from the DNO that the hotel/spa is already up to full capacity with their existing 200KVA supply and so arrangements and work is in progress with them to supply an additional 200KVA supply to the new build. There is a designated plant room for the supply, tarrif meters, cut outs and numberous DBs and isolators.

The bulk of the loading I have been given for the job is a combined 90KW air con/heating system and 120KW of equipment in the kitchen, cellar, bar area. On top of this the remaining electrical involvement is run of the mill LED lighting circuits and ring final circuits throughout.

DNO are working on the supply side of things but client has already made arrangments for a 200KVA generator in case the DNO work won't be completed before the build is complete and bookings are being taken.

From our point of view the circuit wiring etc isn't a problem but on the mains/sub mains side I could do with a bit of advice if anyone would be kind enough to help? The info we have as it stands is we will eventually have a supply provided from DNO and from that the plan is to branch the supply across 2 or 3 main boards. One to the far end of the building to pick up the combined 120KW load of kitchen equipment, cellar, bar etc. One to supply the 35KW and 55KW (90KW combined) air con/heating system. The only remaining circuits will be outdoor lighting and lighting and power in the main function room which I think can either be included with the air con DB or supplied from another (3rd) DB.

Few questions

What would be peoples opinion be on how to layout the plant room, supply in and then to feed the 3 DBs? Would I be on the right lines of a main DB with MCCBs to supply the sub boards? Would that be better than individual isolators alongside one another? I have other questions but thats it for starters. :D Sorry for the long read.

I would look at what would provide full discrimination, what size OCPD needed for demand/discrimination and see what's cheaper..The options I would have in mind would be a Panel board and MCCBs or Ryefield board with hrc fuses or busbar chamber with switch fuses. Of course all of the above designing in a single point of isolation.

The manufacturers I find are quite helpful with regards to selectivity(discrimination) as their mcb/fuses zs values may differ from the generic values found in bs7671 and are more accurate especially when selecting mccb’s

Reply to New install in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net