Discuss New insulated set of philips screwdrivers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricalchief

I want a set of philips screwdrivers that are heavy duty for screws that need many torque to unlock. For example screws on connection box of a motor. There is no need for insulation for this use, but i would to have it in case of a need. What would you suggest? I could buy them from amazon or ebay.

socket set and long bar is better and safer for wheel nuts
methinks geordie was referring to our scouse pastime of removing wheels from vehicles in the shortest time possible.

Ferrari Hires Scousers as Pit Crew

The Ferrari F1 Team recently fired the whole
Pit-Crew to employ some young >unemployed youths from Liverpool. The decision to
hire them was brought on by a documentary on how unemployed youths in the Liverpool area, can remove
a set of car wheels in less than 4 sec without proper equipment. This was
thought to be a good move as most races are won & lost in the pits these days & Ferrari would have an advantage.

However Ferrari soon encountered a major problem:
Not only were the lads changing the tyres in under 4 seconds but within 10 secs they had resprayed,
re-numbered and sold the vehicle to the McLaren team.

Them impact drivers are hellish, have one for working on the motorbike. Also, it's important (especially with tight fittings) to have the right bit - it's no good using a PZ2 bit if you are removing a JIS screw (JIS unlikely in electrical, very common on Japanese bikes). You'll have the head rounded in no time and have a much harder time on your hands.

It's the old adage of having the right tools for the job. I've been quick to learn using the screwdriver I have in my pocket is not always as quick as going to get the right one from the toolbag.

Most electrical screwdrivers are Pozidrive or Supadrive.
Not sure if insulated Phillips drivers are available.
I have a set of SnapOn insulating drivers, where only the 1/4" tips are metal.
It would be possible to change a bit from Pozidrive to Phillips, though the bit would most likely have to be glued in.
I also own a 3/8" drive SnapOn impact driver which has a square body rather than round.
I find it much easier to use and there is no knurling to mess up your hands or gloves.
Another thing I lake about the SnapOn impact driver, is that you can also use it with sockets, and long driver bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most electrical screwdrivers are Pozidrive or Supadrive.
Not sure if insulated Phillips drivers are available.

I have a set of SnapOn insulating drivers, where only the 1/4" tips are metal.
It would be possible to change a bit from Pozidrive to Phillips, though the bit would most likely have to be glued in.
I also own a 3/8" drive SnapOn impact driver which has a square body rather than round.
I find it much easier to use and there is no knurling to mess up your hands or gloves.
Another thing I lake about the SnapOn impact driver, is that you can also use it with sockets, and long driver bits.

Supadrive, is that also what I would call a plus/minus head or driver ?

All the big manufacturers of VDE drivers make them in either PH or PZ, both in sets and in single tools. I know this from picking up a PH set by mistake once and checking ever since :rolleyes:

Reply to New insulated set of philips screwdrivers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net