Discuss New job just got told i loose £20 less a day because my I'm just out of my time in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thisisricky

got inducted at a new job today its an underground job in london

My agency they told me my rate when i got there and filled out all the forms i got pulled to the side by one of the companies supervisors doing the induction...because my Gold card was so fresh he asked me how long i have had it i told him 6 months he said I'm afraid your just an 'advanced mate' you will be dropped £20 a day on your rate

I'm absolutely gutted thats 100 pounds a week i'll be down just got a mortgage thats the last thing i need. after all the hard work i have done to get the gold card i am gutted i am not getting the rate.

I've been working as a mate since 1998 I've done my time :(

is this common practise with electrical firms a deduction when you just come out of your time?????

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be that it could also be some jobsworth knacker trying to brown nose his boss by saving a few quid. IMHO if you're a qualified bloke you're a qualified bloke and it shouldnot matter whether it's day one or day 1001 since you got the card. Is the place unionised?
Places I've worked before I've seen lads have an apprentice rate on Friday and a qualified rate on the Monday

I wonder if this "inspector" or whatever the hell he is is employed just to go round "getting folk" for their 20 quids. Think about it...how many contractors are down there ....thats a lot of 20 quids....so he obviously thought that you "wern`t competent enough" to be on the right rate....yet he`s still happy for you to do the work.....its b00locks that one.......

if your gold card says electrician then your an electrician,if its says trainee then your a trainee,i think he's trying to pull a flanker mate,just out your time makes no difference your a spark simple as.

this is the thing if i knew that something this outrageous would have occurred i would have just lied when he asked me but since i am fully qualified i had nothing to hide i told the truth and was quite proud what a fool i was.

my first day is tomorrow and i can't let this lie its playing with my mind 100 a week is 5200 a year if i hang on for a year not good

and if i have to do the same work as all the other sparks my head is going to drop.

exactly what my old man said he has the exact same card as me he wasn't even asked for obvious reasons
if your gold card says electrician then your an electrician,if its says trainee then your a trainee,i think he's trying to pull a flanker mate,just out your time makes no difference your a spark simple as.

Do you have access to his boss? if so have a word, if not have a word with your agency (don't expect too much from them mind you) and your union rep if there is one.

You could query it with the other sparks - that's probably the last thing this idiot wants you to do.
Or you could kick up a real stink and insist that if your card says 'electrician' then that's what you should be getting paid as - if you were an 'advanced trainee' then that's what your card would say on it.

On the other hand the agency can let you go without notice and you have a mortgage to pay.

i was a little new to the whole layout sitting in there huge office it was hard to tell who was who but i will ask around who is higher then this guy and question other gold car members what there rate is.

oh i failed to mention you get the full sparks rate if you have had your gold card for 2 years i have another year and a half to wait then *sighs

yeah this is the thing in this recession people are chancing there hand and we haven't got a leg to stand on...

i'll pull the agency guy and maybe someone higher up in the office i will probe gently obviously i don't want to loose the job i just wish i was in the position to tell them to stuff it.

whats annoying is they are HUGE and have hundreds of blokes on site the job is way over 5 million and knocking my little 20 quid won't make any difference to anyone

:(

You could query it with the other sparks - that's probably the last thing this idiot wants you to do.
Or you could kick up a real stink and insist that if your card says 'electrician' then that's what you should be getting paid as - if you were an 'advanced trainee' then that's what your card would say on it.

On the other hand the agency can let you go without notice and you have a mortgage to pay.

Do you have access to his boss? if so have a word, if not have a word with your agency (don't expect too much from them mind you) and your union rep if there is one.

Well the agency might be interested because they are usually on a percentage of what the person they have placed in the role makes, so if your money drops so does theirs. Of course they could equally be on a flat rate and not give a to$$.

i'll run it by him tomorrow

so judging by all of your responses this isn't on

its made me feel worse tbh if i had of heard it was the norm i would've let it go ha ha

i have been competent for years but now i have the card i want the rate!!!!!!! ill post back on here my findings

thanks for the response guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Your first port of call here would be to ask other sparks if they had been given the "treatment" by this troll and get collective over it. They have spent time (and money) getting the right personell/competent persons (which I dont doubt you fall into this catagory) so they wont want to go through all that charades again....this is just a "hanger onner" looking for justification for him being there.....time to cut overheads methinks...

This bloke sounds like a white ranker to me. He needs taking somewhere quiet and have the livin g**** kicked out of him. You are qualified.......doesn't matter whether that was today or 40 years ago. Sounds like a bell end of a jobsworth who is trying to save his own bottyhole.

Good luck,

Cheers.........Howard

i will be bang on that tomorrow i told a couple fresh faced lads in the induction and asked them how long they have been qualified and they started stuttering and shaking so i guess they haven't had it over two years either but got lucky to not be asked.

Reply to New job just got told i loose £20 less a day because my I'm just out of my time in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net