Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, woud you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss New kitchen electrics issue - was i ripped off on this job? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. matttytn2

matttytn2 Guest

i have just had a new kitchen fitted.

i was advised that the electrics that were there for my existing cooker (all in one electric inc hobs) and extractor fan were no good and that i will need have a new feed put in from the fuse box. i am confused it all was / seemed fine before and the fuse box has a swich for the cooker and that all worked fine. any way the did the following...

installed a earth (my house didnt have one)
    extension of cooker circuit, new supply for kitchen sockets and spurs
    new supply for extractor fan
    bonding where required
    new 16 amp breaker

materuaks and labour £550
    extras socket face plates and cooker isolator £60

£610.

2. Rockingit

Rockingit Electrician's Arms

I don't think it sounds like you got ripped off, no.

• Like Like x 3
  3. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

well if the earthing and bonding arrangements needed upgrading/putting in....then....look,...we have to ensure that both earthing and bonding arrangements meet the current edition of the regs BEFORE doing any work at a property/install.......

• Like Like x 2
  4. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Without seeing the installing electrician's pre job tests it's really hard to say. It could have been that the new cooker represented amuch higher load than the old one and the existing cable was not capable of carrying the current demanded by the new unit. If the existing cable wasn't up to snuff then chances are the accessories wern't either.
    The reason it all seemed fine before is, with all due respect, you are not an electrician and therefore don't have the required knowledge and skill to make an educated judgment on this. However, asking these questions is the right thing to do rather than blindly accepting this and moving on, how did you come across the person who carried out the work? Was it a random name from your local paper or someone you or a friend/family member has used in the past. If it's the latter I'd say the guy is unlikely to risk his reputation by stiffing you, if it's the former then you could have just been a victim but there's no real way of telling.
    To be honest the sum does seem a little high but that's me talking from the north east while you could be in the south where prices are higher, some idea of your location would help others comment more accurately than I could

5. GLENNSPARK

and what board was here n all....hmm....dont tell me....an old "wylex" rewireable type (BS3036)....if so then no RCD protection was on offer so they will have had to either put in a sub board fed iff a spare way from this old board ...or put in an "add on board".....using henley/s etc.....either way,...in order for there work to comply with the current regs (17th edition)......

6. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

sounds about right to me, if anything if your house did not have an earth i would think the installation was of an older design so could well have had a few items that restricted alterations to take place without the extra work you did not expect.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GLENNSPARK

yes well it all sounds like jaw-dropping stuff to the electrically unaware.....the usual words ring out.."well it all worked ok before"......but that don`t make it compliant though does it....at best a 4 .........at worst.....lol.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Out of interest what certificate(s) were you given?

• Like Like x 3
  9. GLENNSPARK

Well call me cynical but the more i read this one....the more i think the o/p was just trying to get hold of ammo to fire at the electrical installer/contractor who did this work to try and drive the price down.......that winter break looks nice n all that.....if you have had work done that complies and is to a good standard (a reasonable expectation) and you agreed a price..........then alls well......

• Like Like x 1
  10. GLENNSPARK

still no mention of whether you recieved the relevent certs or not......

11. matttytn2

matttytn2 Guest

thanks so much for your reply, concluding my thoughts just wanted a public opinion, i do no didley about house electrics and appreciate its for safety and to meet certain reg's

visible differences to me on this work is a earth lead coming out my house in to the electric meter box
    a thick black shielded power cable from fuse box to cooker / oven area a new fuse in the fuse box rated 400v and labelled extractor hood and 2x sockets and a junction box in the wall hidden behind the extractor hood

All i can get from the old fuse box is its got wickes on it and MK on it and MK on the main breaker switch this switch has LN5780 on it. its defiantly and old fuse box :(

my friend did the kitchen and the electrician was his partner he uses for all his jobs. i trust my friend not to rip me off.

12. trev

trev Regular EF Member

That leaves the question about certification.

13. Murdoch

So if you trust your friends not to rip you off why is your posted entitled "was I ripped off"

Certificates?

• Like Like x 3
  14. matttytn2

matttytn2 Guest

my invoice says issue of certificate on it; i have no certificate to date so can not yet advise what i was given. i am looking for no money bartering ammo i have already paid in full i just want to know if it all sound reasonable on the price front so i can save him for future work

15. GLENNSPARK

so is this new work RCD protected....the installer should have given you a demo of how this device works (how to reset etc) before handover.....

16. matttytn2

matttytn2 Guest

glenn - pass and pass not sure

17. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Certificates should be issued on completion of a job. Obviously it's impractical to expect them immediately after the spark closes the toolbox but in your position I would be expecting them within a week.
    If this happens and you're happy with the work/price/our opinions on it then save him for the future, if not bin him:)

18. Murdoch

Shame you didn't post any photo's - they are a food way to guage this sort of thing

• Like Like x 1
  19. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Comment withdrawn

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  20. GLENNSPARK

3rd member to ask.....did you recieve paperwork/certs for this work carried out in your property?.....it will give us all in here a clearer view ......you havn`t come in here and posted/asked for knowt.......

21. Murdoch

One thing you could do, to put your mind at rest, is google the "competent persons" website, and look up the individual who did the electrics. Such work in a kitchen is covered by Part P and the individual is required to be registered with a scheme.

• Like Like x 2
  22. matttytn2

matttytn2 Guest

no await certs. just have an invoice

23. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Has the invoice got a scheme logo on it? eg NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA

24. GLENNSPARK

what does this mean then?....that you dont expect to get any certification fot this work you have had done?.....but an invoice has been issued to you by the "competent" person carrying out the work?

25. matttytn2

matttytn2 Guest

no logos on invoice.

yes the competent person who dont the work gave me invoice on invoice in the job it says + electrical certificate to comply to current regs. ( i am waiting for a call back regarding this but assume the cert will be issued in the post when some one has been to inspect the job:)

26. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Matty, this is starting to smell like the old wild west to me mate

• Like Like x 3
  27. Dan23584

Dan23584 Electrician's Arms

This is interesting?

I would have hoped the 'competent person' would have inspected and tested it themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  28. micknew

micknew Electrician's Arms

OMG comes to mind!

29. matttytn2

matttytn2 Guest

i dont know

whats odd is my dad had his whole house re wired but his friend who is an electrician who charged just 500labour for the lot after someone came to inspect it and he got his certificate. they were testing it is they went along and were writing different figures down etc

30. Dan23584

OMG indeed........ although this kind of story is not that surprising to hear anymore, getting a bit used to it.:sad3:

31. GLENNSPARK

whats the betting that this "install" doesn`t enjoy any RCD protection at all.........

32. Murdoch

I'd like to see some photo's!!

• Like Like x 2
  33. micknew

Sounds like he used a SWA cable to feed the cooker (thick black shielded power cable from fuse box to cooker).
    Unusual, wonder why?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  34. GLENNSPARK

well there are certain instances (such as grid ceilings etc)...where inspection and testing is goin on during install but for a domestic i would fully expect that the installation process reaches its conclusion...then its the inspection stage...then testing and functional checks before handover (including making the client aware of functional switching devices (including MCBs,..RCDs,..RCBOs etc)......

• Like Like x 2
  35. GLENNSPARK

hituf maybe?......

36. Dan23584

Maybe it was to avoid the need of RCD protection??? I doubt it though.

37. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! springs to mind.
    Matty if I were you I would google his name or his company name RIGHT NOW the result should take you to his entry on one of the scheme providers websites. Let us know the result and we will advise accordingly

• Like Like x 2
  38. micknew

Good point Dan.

39. DurhamSparky

DurhamSparky Guest

im keeping out of this!!

40. GLENNSPARK

could really do with some snaps of this little lot.......:D

41. GLENNSPARK

perhaps thats all they had in the van at the time....improvising or summat like that..lol......

• Like Like x 1
  42. DurhamSparky

DurhamSparky Guest

Cowboying or somit like that!! ?? lol

• Like Like x 2
  43. Marvo

Marvo Gender Confused Staff Member

You guys are worse than a sewing circle. There might be nothing wrong with the installation and the certificates might arrive as promised.

• Like Like x 10
  44. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Marvo you are, of course, right but is it not wise for the op to check to see whether this guy is a member of a CPS?

45. GLENNSPARK

well i said so she said...and i said so she said...and i said so she said.........

• Like Like x 1