Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss New kitchen wiring & appliances in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. TheCodboy

TheCodboy Regular EF Member

Hi all, just looking for a little bit of advice from you very knowledgeable people. A new kitchen going in, bench top sockets, integrated dish washer & fridge freezer, gas hob with extractor and a double oven. The customer doesn't want any FCU at bench height or in the units so i was going to use grid switches for isolating the integrated appliances, hob & extractor. Where he wants the switches is more than 2 meters away from the gas hob. In fact he wants them on the other side of the kitchen wall (in the utility room). Any of you guys see a problem with this?? Also, anyone see a problem with running the extractor and the hob from the same grid switch?? (ie take a spur from the hob straight up to the extractor).

2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Whilst I often defer to the customer, i.e. doesn't want above worktop DP or FCU's, the appliance is gonna need somewhere for the end of the manufacturers lead to plug/connect into. Why don't they want 'in' floor unit sockets?

3. TheCodboy

I was going to have a single box for the hob igniter and another single box the extractor. A 2.5mm t/e running from the grid switch to the hob single, then from the hob straight up to the extractor. Obviously fuse protection in the 3 pin plugs. Grid switch used to isolate the hob and extractor. It's just the distance I'm not to sure about.

4. TheCodboy

With regards to nothing in the units.... Ive no idea. I did run that idea past him when he said no bench top stuff apart from sockets, but he seems quite fixed on the grid switch as a means of controlling them!

5. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Well until electrical sockets etc become Wi-Fi, there's gonna be some 'box' in a floor unit somewhere. If they don't want above worktop DP, just put sockets under worktops. If they want a central grid switch, then C'est la vie.

6. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Without looking at regs book I don't think it states 2 mtrs I think it says on the lines of readily easily accessible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheCodboy

I didn't think the 2 mts was set in stone but more a guide, and its only for the igniter and hood. Its not exactly gonna be drawing much is it!!

8. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

You might be thinking of cooker control units which building regs and on site give guidance of a max distance of 2 meters from the cooker

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheCodboy

Yeah that's it,just wanted to double check with regards to the hob. Cheers!!!