Discuss new light fitting blowing breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kyranocat

hi guys hoping to get some advice, our porch light has been removed as the entire porch is being redone but the 2 cable feeds were not identified i have checked polarity on one and i am certain this is the switch wire leaving the second cable as a mains feed cable .The problem is every time i wire a light onto these cables the circuit breaker trips as soon as the light switch is clicked into the on position.I am lost on what the issue might be.Polarity has been confirmed on the switch wire so thats correct and the mains cable turns live then the breaker is in the on position aswell.I dont think its an overloaded circuit either as both lights are the same wattage and even tried wiring the old light back on to check (SAME SITUATION OCCURS).
I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the situation(no pun intended).Thanks

switch L connected to N. recheck which cable is which.

Sounds like there is a direct connection between live and neutral thus an open circuit hence the mcb breaking. Check that you have the cables identified properly. You`ve probably got the switched live, (normally not the red/brown) conected directly to the neutral

have checked switched live is connected to the live on the rose its wired correctly i made sure of that tested with volt indicator between L AND N whilst flipping switch to get closed and open circuit.As soon as the live conductor on the mains feed in is connected to the loop block it blows

reminds me od dick emery. "dad' iv'e got it wrong again"

ive only got a voltage/polarity indicator at hand.

1.I have identified the switched live by opening/closing switch and testing between live and neutral of the cable on the light side of the cables.
2.I have connected the switched live(neutral with brown sleeve) to switched live.
3.remainder neutral are connected to neutral block.
4.remainder lives connected to Loop Block.

1.I have identified the switched live by opening/closing switch and testing between live and neutral of the cable at the light side.
2.I have connected the switched live(neutral with brown sleeve) to switched live.

thats the problem i cant think of anything else being an issue i will go back tomorrow and try again maybe im thicker on the weekends or something but to me it all makes sense and seems fine i checked polarity on the switch cable a million times to just make sure i wasnt going nuts or anything.

1.I have identified the switched live by opening/closing switch and testing between live and neutral of the cable at the light side.

The conductor with the blue insulation and brown sleeve should go to the live of the lamp the other
conductor of the same cable should be in the live loop and the second cable the brown to live loop and the blue to the neutral of the lamp

"cut the blue wire".

richard harris in the film juggernaut. unexpolded bomb.

Reply to new light fitting blowing breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock