Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss new light fitting blowing breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. kyranocat

kyranocat Guest

hi guys hoping to get some advice, our porch light has been removed as the entire porch is being redone but the 2 cable feeds were not identified i have checked polarity on one and i am certain this is the switch wire leaving the second cable as a mains feed cable .The problem is every time i wire a light onto these cables the circuit breaker trips as soon as the light switch is clicked into the on position.I am lost on what the issue might be.Polarity has been confirmed on the switch wire so thats correct and the mains cable turns live then the breaker is in the on position aswell.I dont think its an overloaded circuit either as both lights are the same wattage and even tried wiring the old light back on to check (SAME SITUATION OCCURS).
    I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the situation(no pun intended).Thanks

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    switch L connected to N. recheck which cable is which.

3. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

Sounds like there is a direct connection between live and neutral thus an open circuit hence the mcb breaking. Check that you have the cables identified properly. You`ve probably got the switched live, (normally not the red/brown) conected directly to the neutral

4. kyranocat

kyranocat Guest

have checked switched live is connected to the live on the rose its wired correctly i made sure of that tested with volt indicator between L AND N whilst flipping switch to get closed and open circuit.As soon as the live conductor on the mains feed in is connected to the loop block it blows

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

You've got your feed, loop and switch mixed up.

What equipment do you have to hand to test the cables?

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    reminds me od dick emery. "dad' iv'e got it wrong again"

7. kyranocat

kyranocat Guest

ive only got a voltage/polarity indicator at hand.

1.I have identified the switched live by opening/closing switch and testing between live and neutral of the cable on the light side of the cables.
    2.I have connected the switched live(neutral with brown sleeve) to switched live.
    3.remainder neutral are connected to neutral block.
    4.remainder lives connected to Loop Block.

8. kyranocat

kyranocat Guest

ive only got a voltage/polarity indicator at hand.

1.I have identified the switched live by opening/closing switch and testing between live and neutral of the cable at the light side.
    2.I have connected the switched live(neutral with brown sleeve) to switched live.
    3.remainder neutral are connected to neutral block.
    4.remainder lives connected to Loop Block.

9. TaffyDuck

Well mate unless you`ve damaged a cable with a screw or something you`ve done what we have said.

10. kyranocat

kyranocat Guest

thats the problem i cant think of anything else being an issue i will go back tomorrow and try again maybe im thicker on the weekends or something but to me it all makes sense and seems fine i checked polarity on the switch cable a million times to just make sure i wasnt going nuts or anything.

11. TaffyDuck

Is there an RCD and if there is. is it tripping?

12. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hum, so are you another of these nuts who's pretending to do electrics without a tester?????

• Like Like x 2
  13. ample current

ample current Regular EF Member

The conductor with the blue insulation and brown sleeve should go to the live of the lamp the other
    conductor of the same cable should be in the live loop and the second cable the brown to live loop and the blue to the neutral of the lamp

14. kyranocat

kyranocat Guest

yes rcd is tripping

15. kyranocat

kyranocat Guest

yes ample current it is wired exactly as you have described